Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Loves to help with queries

Default Stephen Salter Esq of Rickmansworth

Can I please have help?

Stephen Salter esq, Rickmansworth, appears to be my 6th Great Grandfather...His daughter, Sarah Salter(bpd 1755 Rickmansworth) married Simeon Howard(in 1773), their daughter, Sarah Howard(bpd 24 Sep 1777) married William Gristwood on 11 Nov 1809 in Rickmansworth. William Gristwood is the father of Elizabeth Gristwood(my 3rd Great Gran)(1815-1889 Rickmansworth) who married Joseph Gristwood(1814-1893). I initially set out to search the pre marriage relationship of Elizabeth and Joseph. It doesn't appear that they are first cousins and so I wanted to go back a generation further, then I hit problems. Although I have documents saying that William married Sarah and Sarah's father is in fact Simeon Howard and that Simeon Howard's wife is Sarah Salter and she is the daughter of Stephen Salter...I read Simeon Howard's will and it says his daughter, Sarah Howard isn't married to William Gristwood, although he is mentioned in the will as an old servant, but she is the wife of John Wilson...How so? Could I have a mix up somewhere? Please help untangle me? Thank you

I've moved your post to the Hertfordshire forum as it's more likely to be seen by people who know the area who might not visit the Special Offers forum. The forum choice only matters if people don't reply to the thread for 24 hours, when it scrolls off the new page.

keith.robinson

Rickmansworth is in Hertfordshire, unless that is what you meant.

Keith

Fixed. Slip of the mouse!
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Lesley Robertson View Post
    I've moved your post to the Hertfordshire forum as it's more likely to be seen by people who know the area who might not visit the Special Offers forum. The forum choice only matters if people don't reply to the thread for 24 hours, when it scrolls off the new page.
    Thank you. I appreciate the help..
    I'm wondering if I have a different Sarah Howard to find? But if thats the case, why is William Gristwood mentioned in Simeon Howard's will? I find it strange that he is in the will but not as Sarah's husband...John Wilson is her husband in the will.
    I have the marriage proof for Sarah Howard and William Gristwood..She was a spinster when she married William and he was a bachelor. He wasn't her second marriage. And they have children, so it wasn't like she married William first and then married John and was with him when Dad wrote the will..So to my mind, there must be a second Sarah Howard with different parents..But why is William in the will?

I'm baffled. I have document evidence connecting everyone up.
    Thank you for help given.

Famous for offering help & advice

FS have another Sarah Howard bp Rickmansworth 1777 d/o Daniel and Elisabeth. Perhaps she is yours?

Quote Originally Posted by grisel View Post
    FS have another Sarah Howard bp Rickmansworth 1777 d/o Daniel and Elisabeth. Perhaps she is yours?
    Thank you, I'll have a look

Growing old Disgracefully

is this your family in 1851 Rickmansworth,

Joseph Gristwood 37
    Elizabeh Gristwood 36
    Louisa Gristwood 14
    Sarah Gristwood 11
    George Gristwood 8
    Ellen Gristwood 6
    Charlotte Gristwood 4
    Edward Gristwood 1

Could it have been a second marriage

Famous for offering help & advice

Another possibility is that Sarah is younger than you thought or may not have been baptised in Rickmansworth.
    The 1841 census has a Sarah Gristwood at Batchersbridge Rickmansworth with sons Thomas and George who seem to be of the right age. She was born 1783 - 1787 and does not seem to appear in 1851.
    There is a death in 1843 of a 57 year old Sarah Gristwood n Watford reg district which could be her. Probably worth considering.

Growing old Disgracefully

There is a record in - England, Pallot's Marriage Index, 1780-1837

of a John Wilson to a Sarah Howard at Rickmandsworth 1797 (looks like he was called John the Evangelist)

The same record is in London, England, Church of England Marriages and Banns, 1754-1932 for John Wilson
    City of London All Hallows Bread Street 1755-1811 to Sarah Howard in the presence of Simeon Howard.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast