Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Greetings from Down Under

Hi from Perth in Australia. Researching quite a few different family lines but at present concentrating on the BECKs from Lewes, Sussex and the HADDOCKs from Clare Suffolk.

The BECKS ran pubs all around the area from Lewes down Alfriston to Eastbourne etc but looking particularly for some service records so will get to post some queries in due course.

I am stuck on verifying from military records whether Arthur Victor BECK 1892-1920 (Northamptonshire Regiment 26857)was indeed the son of John Joseph BECK and Eleanor HAWES.

Found heaps of Arthur Becks but I want to either eliminate Arthur VICTOR BECK or not! I am hoping for some military records that show them as his parents.

Dave

Knowledgeable and helpful

From what I can find the Arthur Victor Beck with Service Number 26857 was a Butcher before joing the Army. Looking at the 1911 Census there is an Arthur Beck of the right age living in Lewes,Sussex with parents William and Maisie. He was a Butchers Assistant.
    The Army record I found did not give next of kin.

Emeltee

Sorry the Census entry should read Brighton, Sussex but he was born in Lewes

Quote Originally Posted by emeltee View Post
    From what I can find the Arthur Victor Beck with Service Number 26857 was a Butcher before joing the Army. Looking at the 1911 Census there is an Arthur Beck of the right age living in Lewes,Sussex with parents William and Maisie. He was a Butchers Assistant.
    The Army record I found did not give next of kin.

Emeltee

Sorry the Census entry should read Brighton, Sussex but he was born in Lewes
    Hi Emeltee, I don't think you've woken up yet the 1911 entry for Arthur says he's a brother, so William's brother not his son.

BECK, ARTHUR VICTOR, Mother's maiden name. HAWES
    GRO Reference: 1892 D Quarter in LEWES Volume 02B Page 173
    Alma

Knowledgeable and helpful

I really must learn to read things properly!

William born Lewes 1882 also has mmn Hawes
    William Charles Beck Mar 1882 |Lewes 2b 191

1901 Census
    RG13/915/F51/p10
    98, Western Road, Lewes
    John Beck 49 Brewers Drayman Lewes
    Elenor Beck wife 43 Hawkhurst, Kent
    William Beck son 19 Lewes
    Edith Beck dau 18 Lewes
    Edward Beck son 15 Lewes
    Harry Beck son 14 Lewes
    Alfred Beck son 11 Lewes
    Arthur Beck son 9 Lewes

Apologies if you have this already

Emeltee

I think we're all guilty of that at times, I know I am.
    Alma

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by emeltee View Post

William born Lewes 1882 also has mmn Hawes
    William Charles Beck Mar 1882 |Lewes 2b 191

1901 Census
    RG13/915/F51/p10
    98, Western Road, Lewes
    John Beck 49 Brewers Drayman Lewes
    Elenor Beck wife 43 Hawkhurst, Kent
    William Beck son 19 Lewes
    Edith Beck dau 18 Lewes
    Edward Beck son 15 Lewes
    Harry Beck son 14 Lewes
    Alfred Beck son 11 Lewes
    Arthur Beck son 9 Lewes

Apologies if you have this already

Emeltee
    Hello folks and many thanks for the response. Yes Emeltee I do indeed have those records and no need for apologies....I know what its like before one's first cuppa in the morning

The Harry Beck (aged 14 in 1901) is my wife's grandfather.

His youngest brother Arthur is the one I am after but it is challenging to eliminate the Arthur Victor
    BECK (as opposed to plain Arthur BECK) without the military papers showing his NOK. If his NOK is indeed John and Eleanor (Hawes) of 98 Western Rd, then I am on a winner. If not, I have the wrong man in my tree.

Is my only option to order a complete set of military records and what would you think that might cost me?

Or perhaps there are other avenues to check first?

Many thanks again.
    Dave

A warm welcome to Brit-gen

FindMyPast has 2 records for Arthur Victor Beck (Nos 26857 and 28678). One of those records names his wife and son

Marriage -
    Beatrice M Yates, Jun Qtr 1914, Brighton Registration District, vol 2B page 511
    Birth -
    Victor Arthur William Beck, Mar Qtr 1915, Registration District Cuckfield, vol 2b page 263 - mother's maiden name Yates

Does this fit "your" Arthur?
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by helachau View Post
    A warm welcome to Brit-gen

FindMyPast has 2 records for Arthur Victor Beck (Nos 26857 and 28678). One of those records names his wife and son

Marriage -
    Beatrice M Yates, Jun Qtr 1914, Brighton Registration District, vol 2B page 511
    Birth -
    Victor Arthur William Beck, Mar Qtr 1915, Registration District Cuckfield, vol 2b page 263 - mother's maiden name Yates

Does this fit "your" Arthur?
    Greetings and hi,

Yes indeed it does, many thanks. The issue I have is whether this particular Arthur Victor is really, really the son of John BECK (b1852) and Eleanor HAWES (b1857).

What I need to find is some military paperwork, or other, that shows this couple as my Arthur Victor's parents. There are or seem to be millions of Becks and nearly as many Arthurs.

I need to include or eliminate this Arthur Victor from my tree. I fear the only way is to find military papers that show this. I have his attestation and discharge papers but neither show the NOK.

Thanks for the info, I fear I may have to keep looking.

Beast regards, Dave

Famous for offering help & advice

Hello Dave , the only Arthur Victor Beck birth showing on free bmd is the one in 1892 in Lewes. On the gro website that birth gives mother's maiden name as Hawes so sounds like your man.
    You could also check the 1914 marriage cert to see if his father's name and occupation fits. There could also be other info such as witnesses and addresses.
    The 1921 census might help too when it eventually is available

Brick wall demolition expert!

Military papers are not the answer, in fact your lucky that any exist at all, as 60 per cent of all WW1 service records were destroyed the Blitz in WW2.

The answer lies in the marriage record, which will give the name of the groom's father, and the occupation of the groom's father. It will also show the residence of the groom, the occupation of the groom and it MAY give his age. I say MAY, because it might say some like "full age", which simply means that he was old enough without parental consent. However, many do give the actual age. Another clue might be found in the names of witnesses. They might be other relatives.

Marriage certificates can be bought on line from the General Register Office at https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates

However, as only paper versions are available, and with the current pandemic meaning almost certainly that they are working with reduced staffing levels, I suspect that you might have quite a delay on your order.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast