Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Loves to help with queries

No such luck (sad face)- when I clicked on the link, it just took me to my order form. There's no "view PDF" button as yet.

Jodi

Knowledgeable and helpful

The problem is the PDF delivery is not an automatic digital system. It involves a manual selection of the file and delivery allocation.
    If the system had been automatic there would be no delay in ordering pdfs as this could be an instant delivery as soon as the payment cleared, but such things are beyond the comprehension of the Government tech boffins even though it has been used in commercial operations for many years.
    Cheers
    Guy
    As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Etchells View Post
    The problem is the PDF delivery is not an automatic digital system. It involves a manual selection of the file and delivery allocation.
    If the system had been automatic there would be no delay in ordering pdfs as this could be an instant delivery as soon as the payment cleared, but such things are beyond the comprehension of the Government tech boffins even though it has been used in commercial operations for many years.
    Cheers
    Guy
    Crikey, that's quite annoying and slightly backward of them, isn't it! In Victoria (Australia) I can order and get my PDFs instantly - I just have to keep track of which ones I've ordered so I don't end up with doubles.

As a not entirely unrelated aside - what information is on a death certificate from the 1950s? Does it have spouse/child details or maiden name? Or just the person's name?

Jodi

Never mind the other side of the world, I can get my Scottish certificates instantly... just up the road!

Brick wall demolition expert!

Quote Originally Posted by biggirlsblouse View Post

As a not entirely unrelated aside - what information is on a death certificate from the 1950s? Does it have spouse/child details or maiden name? Or just the person's name?

Jodi
    Go back to your GRO account and look at Frequently Asked Questions and that will tell you what information you will find on each certificate.

But for a man you won't find the spouse - a woman MIGHT be listed as the wife of X - after all we women were mere chattels

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Jodi
    i have two female death certificates, one for 1918 and one for 1959, and the form is the same.
    When and where died.
    Name and surname.
    Sex
    The first one said 'widow of Thomas Smith, labourer, of 13 High Street, York.
    The second was 'of 41 Low Road, Chester, wife of John Brown, fancy goods seller.
    Cause of death.
    Signature, residence, and description of informant.
    The first one said J.E. Smith, daughter-in-law in attendance, 13 High Street, York.
    The second one said, John Brown, widower, 41 Low Road, Chester.

The usual address of the deceased was written in the occupation box because they'd died somewhere other than at home.

Date and place of birth (replacing age at death), and maiden name of a married woman were added to the death certificate in June quarter 1969.
    The occupation box was amended to 'occupation and usual address'.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Jodi
    For examples see

https://anguline.co.uk/cert/burial.html

scroll to near the bottom of the page for Death Certificates
    Cheers
    Guy
    Last edited by Guy Etchells; 05-05-2020 at 7:32 PM. Reason: URL
    As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Etchells View Post
    For examples see

scroll to near the bottom of the page for Death Certificates
    Cheers
    Guy
    The url should be

I don't know how the "s" appeared as I copied and pasted the link.
    Cheers
    Guy
    PS This is very strange when I made the post there was no "s" after "http", I checked it and the "s" was not there, I read other posts and came back to check again and the "s" was there.

What’s even odder is that I’ve just called up edit on your post to see whether a Mod could remove the s, and it is not to be seen on the editable version... Neither does it appear on your quoted post.
    I’ll query it with Admin.

Thank you!

I'm internally debating whether to order a couple of death certificates for "Jane Smith" and that extra information would be perfect!

Jodi

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast