Question walter greenhalgh caudwell RAF WW2

Hi there,
    I am looking for information about a Walter Greenhalgh Caudwell who served in the RAF in WWII. I can only find the basics. He was conscripted aged 23 in 1939 his service number was 701608 and his archive ref is AIR 78 29 02.
    He never spoke to his children (now in their sixties) about the war, all they can remember is that he served in Africa and the Middle East and at one point was in a plane when its engine fell out and it crash landed in a tree.
    I have no idea how to find out what RAF division he was in or any other information so would be very grateful is anyone could either direct me or knew how to put the little information I have to use by following up other research facilities.
    best
    L

Welcome to the British Genealogy Forum. WW2 service records have not been released by MOD for publication. However, assuming that he is dead, relatives can buy a copy. It costs 30 pounds plus a copy of the death certificate. See the post HERE.

I am going to move this message to the RAF forum as "Navigating BG" isn't really intended for research queries.

I'm so sorry...it's the first post I've made and I was unsure where I was posting it. Will I still be able to see replies or is that on a different forum, sorry to sound so naive.

Don’t worry about mistakes, the Mods can always adapt things. Nothing should change except the archiving of your thread. While people are answering, your thread will appear on the “Today’s posts” list (top left on the front board), but it’s actually in the Royal Air Force forum - you can see this in the light tan colored bar at the top of this screen, just above the orange bar. You can also find all your old posts by clicking on your own name, which takes you to your own page, and then select, from the list on the left, “find recent threads” or “find latest posts”. If you gave a valid email address when you registered, you should be notified when someone replies.

Enjoy!