Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Starting to feel at home

Now that we’re a bit closer to identifying Richard May’s birth date and parentage, the question of names becomes more important. I suspect he didn’t name his son, Richard, because he himself was at least the fifth Richard in a row. His grandfather was actually known as a Richard Jr!
    I suspect while chatting with his friend (and will Executor) Thomas Hancock, he was advised to add a second name to help distinguish himself from the others.Unfortunately he chose a name that just created confusion with another born around the same time.

Hi,

I'm a descendent of Gregory Potbury. His daughter Margaret eventually emigrated to Australia, settled in Bathurst and died in Cowra. She married a chap by the name of Pierce, and my maternal grandmother was a Pierce, who married grandfather, Clem Hill.

Before she died in 1922, Margaret wrote an account of her life, of which my family has a typewritten copy.

As I recall, Gregory died in a fall while replacing the black draping on the throne after William IV's death, with purple for the incoming Queen Victoria.

It would be nice to hear from you.

Warm regards,

Geoff

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345