Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home

It's probable that the hospital registered the death as we suspect the husband had predeceased her and their son was only 12 and at school. Possibly St Anne's. The Occupation column just has a vertical line through it, sorry don't know how to post images.

Famous for offering help & advice

Hi the reason I asked if you had looked at the parish burial record as opposed to the civil death certificate was just to be sure the vicar hadn't noted any other information. However I can see you are being very thorough so you probably have checked this.

Another point re the Richmond May families. One particular lot including a John May were wealthy merchants trading in Portugal. The Richmond history soc, (sorry forgotten the actual name) have a publication from 1995' The May family of Richmond and the Lisbon factory' Whether they are anything to do with the Rebecca May, mother of Richard ( who may or may not be your Richard), I have no idea!

Quote Originally Posted by Ambersand View Post
    It's probable that the hospital registered the death as we suspect the husband had predeceased her and their son was only 12 and at school. Possibly St Anne's. The Occupation column just has a vertical line through it, sorry don't know how to post images.
    To upload an image to the forums the first step is to make sure that you are in Go Advanced mode on the Brit-Gen thread where you want to place the photo. Click on the picture frame in the row of images above the reply box. (6 from the RH side. The box that appears requires a URL address.
    You have to upload your photo to a free site which will provide a URL address. I use Postimage which is very simple.
    On the home page of Postimage click on 'Choose images' then find and click on the file you want to upload where you have the photo stored on your computer eg Pictures. Then click on the particular folder that holds your picture and Open it. Choose your photo, click on it and click on Open. You are now taken back to the Postimage page where you are given a choice of 9 links. Click on the URL 'Hotlink for forum' Now right click on the URL address and then click on Copy. Go back to the reply box on the Brit-Gen thread and in the URL box right click on your mouse and from the menu click on paste. The URL for your photo is now ready to be posted on the forum along with any information you hae typed in to accompany it.
    I hope I have explained this clearly enough for you to have a go. There are other free sites from which to upload images but not being very tech savvy I found the one above the easiest to use.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Starting to feel at home

Thank you so much for the info on posting pictures. Have copied it to a note for future reference.

Starting to feel at home

Thanks, I will check that out. I’m curious how my ancestor got the type of positions he did. There must have been some influence somewhere. I’ll check out the book and family tree in case there are branches.

Starting to feel at home

Thanks to help in this threads and others in the forum, we've punched a huge chunk in the brickwall but it's not down yet. Thanks to forum for pointing out that father's details on marriage certificate don't mean he's still alive! I also joined FindMyPast and the search function helped me link a will to an address in Rupert Street, London that we knew he'd used on a certificate. Turns out he wasn't a suicide, but he was sick, probably TB/consumption and had relocated to Torquay Devon, dying there in 1832 at the age of 34, leaving his wife and 5 year old son in London. The will is definitely his, he even explains that he wasn't baptised Richard Henry May, just adopted the middle name. Reason unstated. We now have his mother's first name and his age. There are only two possibles, one base born in Gloucestershire and the other with two baptism dates St Giles in the Field and Alciston (same couple endorsement in Alciston register).
    One of the executors, Thomas Hancock lives at the address given or next door. But I found this record and wonder what the section on the right Governors of Christs Hospital means. I suspected he was a Blue Coat Boy (or had some dealings with it). Might they own premises and let teachers, ex pupils live there?

Loves to help with queries

An Ancestry tree has an image of marriage certificate Richard Henry MAY - Ann O'BRIEN, 1826. I think I see the letter "C" in front of "Richard". Witnesses are Ann FUTVOYE and William MANYARD.

Charles Henry MAY, only son of an only son, has three marriages and many children but I do not see a son named Richard or daughter named Ann. Did your Charles Henry MAY give his parents' names to his children?

Marriage certificate Charles Henry MAY - Elizabeth (CARR) TRIPP...what occupation for Charles...what names for witnesses?

"...there is a writing desk with an inscription" What is the inscription?

Starting to feel at home

Quote Originally Posted by Bess View Post
    An Ancestry tree has an image of marriage certificate Richard Henry MAY - Ann O'BRIEN, 1826. I think I see the letter "C" in front of "Richard". Witnesses are Ann FUTVOYE and William MANYARD.
    Thanks for the reminder. Might see if I can check the witnesses.
    Charles Henry MAY, only son of an only son, has three marriages and many children but I do not see a son named Richard or daughter named Ann. Did your Charles Henry MAY give his parents' names to his children?
    Interesting point that. Not one Richard as first or second name. I hadn’t considered that angle. Will look at that closer as so many of Charles’ marriage to his first wife died and I need to track their names. His eldest son was named after himself ie Charles Henry. A couple of bits of Will struck me as weird, so his mother may not have had fond memories of her late husband. Charles was only 5 so may not have had much to do with him. I have since discovered 7 Rupert Street was a very popular dining room run by Thomas Hancock. So he must have spent some time there! Plus selling all the furniture except for 40 pounds worth seems extreme.

Marriage certificate Charles Henry MAY - Elizabeth (CARR) TRIPP...what occupation for Charles...what names for witnesses?
    Occupation for Charles was a Mercantile Clerk (from memory)will post it.

"...there is a writing desk with an inscription" What is the inscription?
    Date 1817 presented to Sir Frederick Adam in commemoration of the Battle of Waterloo. (I think) I have only been told about it.

Starting to feel at home

Here is his first marriage certificate.

and his second in Australia

William Tripp married Elizabeth's mother Ann Carr after Elizabeth's birth. He may not have been her father or her brothers, but he definitely fathered some children with Ann pre marriage (before his first wife died). Elizabeth was living with her brother (also an appraiser) next door to Charles, that's how they met. Not sure what happened to Charles between being orphaned at 12 and then. He should have got some money from Richard (around 500 pounds sterling) when he turned 21 if the estate had been handled correctly.

And I'm not sure why Richard chose Henry as a second name. There were a number of Richard May's around, so he might have wanted to be special. But why "Henry"

Loves to help with queries

You need to see this certificate to see how Charles records his origins. Do you have this Certificate?

NSW BDM
    666/1867 MAY Charles H marr. CREGG Mary Sydney

Ancestry tree is - Johnson Family Tree.

Ancestry London, England Church of England Births and Baptisms 1813 - 1917

21 Mar 1830 Westminster St Martin in the Fields
    MAY Charles Henry parents Richard Henry, gent, and Ann Rupert Street

23 Apr 1830 Picadilly St James Westminster born 2 Apr 1830
    MAY Frederick parents Richard Henry, a gent, and Ann Rupert Street

Charles Henry MAY, who has not been christened for ....three years?....and with mother Ann to have baby in two weeks....now he needs to be christened......and christenings so close together but not in the same church?

How does the inscription on the table relate to your MAY family?

When was the Will written?

When did Richard Die?

What names for Executors and witnesses?

How are beneficiaries named....exactly?

What did the estate consist of.....how was it distributed....who got what?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast