Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    A fountain of knowledge

Do you have the death cert. for Ann who died 1840?

Starting to feel at home

Yes. Assuming it’s the correct Ann.
    Certified copy of an entry of death from GRO. Death in the sub district of St Margaret West, county Middlesex.
    2.11.1840 Westminster Hospital, Ann May, Female, 38, occupation I Cause of death Inflammation of the throat,Dr I Wilson, Secretary Westminster Hospital, 6.11.1840 William Martin Registrar

Sorry not sure how to post pic.

Famous for offering help & advice

As Richard worked for the gov overseas and has been described as a secretary(a role used in the modern diplomatic service), there is a possibility that he could be mentioned in Foreign Office archives held at the National Archives at Kew, though probably not online. Or could be mentioned in Frederick Adam's papers.
    There is also the possibility that he may have died overseas. FMP has the index to Overseas deaths (in World records)and other subsription sites may do too. This is only an index,you have to buy the actual certificates from the gro to check,which could prove costly and possibly fruitless.

A fountain of knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by Ambersand View Post
    Yes. Assuming it’s the correct Ann.
    Certified copy of an entry of death from GRO. Death in the sub district of St Margaret West, county Middlesex.
    2.11.1840 Westminster Hospital, Ann May, Female, 38, occupation I Cause of death Inflammation of the throat,Dr I Wilson, Secretary Westminster Hospital, 6.11.1840 William Martin Registrar

Sorry not sure how to post pic.
    Thanks for that.

A fountain of knowledge

After reading grisel's post i googled and found this,

Sir Frederick Adam

Previous office: Lord High Commissioner of the Ionian Islands (1824–1832)

There are a heap of records in the National Archives uk on Sir Frederick Adam.

Starting to feel at home

Thanks for suggesting the Foreign Office, I had assumed it was a military occupation. I will see where I can get with that. The other suggestion of Frederick Adams papers is good, I might at least see if they have those.
    Quote Originally Posted by grisel View Post
    As Richard worked for the gov overseas and has been described as a secretary(a role used in the modern diplomatic service), there is a possibility that he could be mentioned in Foreign Office archives held at the National Archives at Kew, though probably not online. Or could be mentioned in Frederick Adam's papers.
    There is also the possibility that he may have died overseas. FMP has the index to Overseas deaths (in World records)and other subsription sites may do too. This is only an index,you have to buy the actual certificates from the gro to check,which could prove costly and possibly fruitless.

Starting to feel at home

Hi, yep, I’ve just been browsing them. Nothing has been digitised though, so I will have to wait until I or someone else can go in there. Possibly most will be about the political situation, but some might give feedback on how things are going. At least twelve bundles cover the time period I am interested in.

Famous for offering help & advice

FMP in the Westminster Burials dataset have the burial record for Ann May died 1840 St Margaret's Westminster. It may or may not give you further useful information.

Starting to feel at home

Quote Originally Posted by grisel View Post
    FMP in the Westminster Burials dataset have the burial record for Ann May died 1840 St Margaret's Westminster. It may or may not give you further useful information.
    Hi, yes we have the actual certificate and I quoted details in another response on this thread. The only added info was the cause of death.

It did not mention she was a widow. Not sure which column that would come under?

But that could be very relevant if she was.

We had assumed Richard Henry had outlived her as his name and occupation was listed on their son's Marriage certificate in 1848. Would that have been done if he had died? Or would that section have been left blank?

A Richard Henry died in 1834. I'll purchase that death certificate if needed, however I am loath to spend that money if the above facts suggest he couldn't have been dead when those two certificates were written.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by Ambersand View Post
    Hi, yes we have the actual certificate and I quoted details in another response on this thread. The only added info was the cause of death.

It did not mention she was a widow. Not sure which column that would come under?

But that could be very relevant if she was.

We had assumed Richard Henry had outlived her as his name and occupation was listed on their son's Marriage certificate in 1848. Would that have been done if he had died? Or would that section have been left blank?

A Richard Henry died in 1834. I'll purchase that death certificate if needed, however I am loath to spend that money if the above facts suggest he couldn't have been dead when those two certificates were written.
    The earliest death certificate I can find in my 'collection' is for 1850 and it follows the same routine as later ones. In the 'occupation' column it says 'wife of John Smith, labourer'. In other ones where the husband has died it says 'widow of William Brown, farmer'.

If the occupation box is blank, it's probably because the informant who registered the death didn't know that information. Am I correct in thinking it was someone from the hospital who registered the death?

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast