Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Hi from a newbie!

Just found this forum, hope to visit regularly! I'm researching Tomkinson, King, Carr and Clayton surnames mainly. The Carr line is my brickwall! I'm also trying to substantiate the hubbys family story that one of his uncles was involved in the liberation of the Bergen Belsen concentration camp. Hopefully will figure things out!

Knowledgeable and helpful

Hallo and welcome to the group there have been several programmes about Belsen recently some on the Sky channels and sometimes the names of the Army units are mentioned. The last one was on BBC so should be available on catchup. I have only watched part of it and as you might know its absolutely heart breaking. I have just googled Bergen Belsen British army units at liberation and a whole list on a page came up. I think this would be a brilliant one to use the list appears very comprehensive. I am sorry I couldn't add a link

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi Jane. Thank you for the welcome! Thank you also for the handy hint about googling the liberation units, I'll definitely give that a try, I don't know why I didn't think of it! lol

Hi Nasus1978 and welcome. King is a very common surname as I'm sure you know. I too have King's in my tree. They are from around Leicestershire and Nuneaton if that sounds familiar.

Tony
    "People will not look forward to posterity who never look backward to their ancestors.” Edmund Burke

Don't worry let us know if you have any luck hope you find something

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi Tony - My Kings historically are based in London/Middlesex/Stewkley. My mum is the anomaly, she moved to the midlands just over 40 years ago. Thank you for the welcome!