Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: John McNay

Famous for offering help & advice

Yes,I think the family you found is the McNay family, Arthur.There seem to be many references to the McNays being on the ship and on Gilchrist's baptism he is said to have been born there abd father James a tailor which matches.
    I found Archibald's probable baptism in Dornock Dumfries as McNeigh.The full record may or may not give an occupation for James.
    I can't find any references to McNays in Dornock but there are a number of Johnstones there in various records.

Settling in

Looks like a Robert was also aboard.

Not sure what the I means? C obviously means child.

I think I might mean Infant.

Anyway, I suspect the John born in Sheffield may turn out not to be yours, since (if I've been following correctly) there seems to be evidence that he went to America. Moreover, grisel has found the Hyderabad passenger list showing that your John was born in Dumfries (possibly the county rather than just the town).

The answer to the question of whether John was related to James (also from Dumfries) is likely to be somewhere in Scottish records, which she has made a start on. To save duplicating efforts, how much have you already found on James and John from Scottish records?

(Incidentally, I accept grisel's point about James being a McNay - maybe the ship's purser forgot to put his glasses on and misread McNay as Menzies.)

Settling in

Quote Originally Posted by arthurk View Post
    I think I might mean Infant.

Anyway, I suspect the John born in Sheffield may turn out not to be yours, since (if I've been following correctly) there seems to be evidence that he went to America. Moreover, grisel has found the Hyderabad passenger list showing that your John was born in Dumfries (possibly the county rather than just the town).

The answer to the question of whether John was related to James (also from Dumfries) is likely to be somewhere in Scottish records, which she has made a start on. To save duplicating efforts, how much have you already found on James and John from Scottish records?

(Incidentally, I accept grisel's point about James being a McNay - maybe the ship's purser forgot to put his glasses on and misread McNay as Menzies.)
    I only have information on James McNay,is that I think he was born in Hoddam, Dumfries-shire, Scotland. The only other information I have is, once he came to Australia.

I came across a book from the Victorian State Library called The Coming of the 'David Clark' in 1839 and the Story of James McNay. By Colonel Perciaval Dale

This is the link, page 27 it starts with the David Clark. Page 31 is about James McNay.
    https://viewer.slv.vic.gov.au/?entit...99&mode=browse It says he came from Lockerbie.

Thanks for mentioning the item about the "David Clark" - it adds something to what I know of my relatives who were on board.

From what you say, it sounds as though you will need to get to grips with Scotland's People:

https://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/

Some Scottish records are indexed and available for free at sites like FamilySearch, but sooner or later you will need to go to SP. There's a much wider range of sources there, and in most cases images of the original documents. These are available on pay-per-view (credits), but the cost is very reasonable compared to a lot of other places.

There's also a lot of background information and advice, for example this one on Family History and the kinds of documents you're likely to encounter:

https://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/g...family-history

I'm not sure what to make of the discrepancy between Hoddam and Lockerbie (which was in the parish of Dryfesdale). They are close, but not quite adjacent parishes. You may need to spend time at FamilySearch (for starters, as it's free) and Scotland's People working through a range of possible families to see which one is yours. And don't forget other documents such as wills, since someone who had emigrated might nevertheless be mentioned in the will of someone who stayed behind.

If I have the correct John McNay in 1858 then he died in poverty, with his funeral paid for by the Onkaparinga Destitute Board. This is vastly different to James McNay who, according to the book you posted, was a nephew of Sir Andrew Halliday and appears to have been reasonably well off by the time of John's death.

Had they been related then its unlikely that the Destitute Board would have continued to support Elizabeth and her children, which they did. There are numerous references to her receiving aid long after John's death, including in 1861 when reference is made to her new born illegitimate child.

Settling in

Quote Originally Posted by Jomot1 View Post
    If I have the correct John McNay in 1858 then he died in poverty, with his funeral paid for by the Onkaparinga Destitute Board. This is vastly different to James McNay who, according to the book you posted, was a nephew of Sir Andrew Halliday and appears to have been reasonably well off by the time of John's death.

Had they been related then its unlikely that the Destitute Board would have continued to support Elizabeth and her children, which they did. There are numerous references to her receiving aid long after John's death, including in 1861 when reference is made to her new born illegitimate child.
    Yes you have the right John. The daughter born in 1861 was named Janet.

Settling in

Quote Originally Posted by arthurk View Post
    Thanks for mentioning the item about the "David Clark" - it adds something to what I know of my relatives who were on board.

From what you say, it sounds as though you will need to get to grips with Scotland's People:

https://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/

Some Scottish records are indexed and available for free at sites like FamilySearch, but sooner or later you will need to go to SP. There's a much wider range of sources there, and in most cases images of the original documents. These are available on pay-per-view (credits), but the cost is very reasonable compared to a lot of other places.

There's also a lot of background information and advice, for example this one on Family History and the kinds of documents you're likely to encounter:

https://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/g...family-history

I'm not sure what to make of the discrepancy between Hoddam and Lockerbie (which was in the parish of Dryfesdale). They are close, but not quite adjacent parishes. You may need to spend time at FamilySearch (for starters, as it's free) and Scotland's People working through a range of possible families to see which one is yours. And don't forget other documents such as wills, since someone who had emigrated might nevertheless be mentioned in the will of someone who stayed behind.
    Yes, I was told about this site. My concern was paying for information that may be the wrong person. But if that's what I have to do, I'll do it.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by MarcMcNay View Post
    Yes, I was told about this site. My concern was paying for information that may be the wrong person. But if that's what I have to do, I'll do it.
    You can search the indexes for free, only paying to view a document. (Remember to download any documents you view.)
    You may need to invest in a good online map so you can see which places are nearest to another.
    See link in third paragraph of the first post in this thread.
    https://www.british-genealogy.com/fo...ere-They-Lived

Genuki Scotland may prove useful, too.
    https://www.genuki.org.uk/big/sct

There's quite a few 'stickies' at the top of the General Scottish Forum which might prove handy. https://www.british-genealogy.com/fo...Family-History

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Settling in

Cool, I'll give it a go

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast