Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: John McNay

Settling in

Quote Originally Posted by Lesley Robertson View Post
    I suggest that when you visit SP again, you also take another look at the other records, maybe with spelling variations. There's a thread on using the site HERE If the marriages happened in Scotland after 1855, they should be there, maybe plus or minus a year or two.
    For events before 18455, they have now added Catholic and other church records to those of the Church of Scotland.
    Just tried that, I used name john with the surname M****. I went through every single M from the start to Mo. Still nothing. Very frustrating!

Did you notice the John Nay b. 11 Dec 1834 to Robert & Jean in the Old Parish Records? Ministers sometimes lost the "Mac/Mc". He's the last possible candidate I can see.

Settling in

Quote Originally Posted by Lesley Robertson View Post
    Did you notice the John Nay b. 11 Dec 1834 to Robert & Jean in the Old Parish Records? Ministers sometimes lost the "Mac/Mc". He's the last possible candidate I can see.
    Yes, but he went to the USA.

I did notice on the 1841 census the John McNay at 10 living at Lockerbie Bridge Street in Dryfesdale with Agness Carutthers aged 33 and Grace Chalmers aged 50. This record on Ancestry spells his name as McKay, but on the Free Cen site, it says McNay.
    However, I just can't find anything on Grace & Agness before or after that census record.

I thought that may be a good lead as the address is Bridge Street. I found on someone else's tree, a person I am dna matched to, that my 5th great grandparents & his 4th great grandparents, James McLellan & Mary McLellan were living at 4 Bridge Street, when they passed away.

But I don't think James & Mary are living at Bridge Street in the 1841 census, the 1851 census, I'm unsure. James passed away 1858 & Mary 1878.

John McNay & Elizabeth Rogerson had a son born in South Australia, Australia. He was George McNay and he married Mary Rachel Kerr in South Australia, at the residence of Jasper Copland.
    Mary Kerr's parents were Thomas Kerr & Margaret McLellan, and Margaret's parents were James McLellan & Mary Forfar, who lived at Bridge Street.

But as I said before, I just can't find anything on Agness Carruthers & Grace Chalmers, to prove its my John or discount him.

Playing with name spelling in Scotland was really a national sport in the 19th century! One of my lines has 9 different spelling that I'm sure of, 3 of them in one entry!
    Good luck

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234