A. Muse

Default 1881 census for Army personnel

My Great Grandfather Isaac Purcell was in the Army in 1881, would he have been included in the census? I fear he may have been in Ireland at the time of the census, would that mean any records were lost? The usual searches don't seem to produce results.

Any comments or pointers greatly appreciated.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

To the best of my knowledge, soldiers in 1881 who were stationed in England and Wales were listed in the census as normal. There's loads of people with the occupation of soldier in Colchester and Aldershot for starters.

I presume the same thing would apply in Ireland, therefore, yes, the records would have been lost, along with the earlier Irish censuses.

I presume you've searched using variants of his name, in case he's been mistranscribed?
    Do you know which regiment he might have been in so you can perhaps check to see if they were based in Ireland at the time of the census?

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

If he was in barracks in the UK he would have been included but not if overseas.
    See here for an account of Ireland's censuses and what is available. Not good news I'm afraid.
    Christina

Pam beat me to it.
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

A. Muse

Thank you both for your replies. I did feel I was clutching at straws but it is nice to have it confirmed. His medical record shows arrival at Fleetwood 31.3.1879, then an illegible entry 28.1.87 (it might be Kinsale but I was hoping it wasn't), then arrival at Kilkenny 10.4.83.