Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home

Default Translating/Deciphering Indictment record

Hi,
    I cannot read the entry for an indictment of an ancestor called Moses Teasdale, 1682. I can make out some words but not enough to make sense of the entry. Any helpful suggestions would be most welcome. I cannot paste the entry here but it is on the following page on Ancestry UK.
    https://www.
    ancestry.co.uk/interactive/6065/41414_1831101881_0923-00084?pid=272415&treeid=65742458&personid=34219217 9786&usePUB=true&_phsrc=WyZ2&_phstart=successSourc e

It is the 3rd entry down on the second page.
    If anyone can help I would be very grateful.
    Ros Norris
    Last edited by Pam Downes; 28-04-2020 at 5:45 PM. Reason: Direct link to commercial company broken.

Hi
    before I attempt to decipher the document just to let you know the link doesn't work for me. So I went to ancestry and typed his name in the search box and then in the Add an Event line I clicked on Any Event and entered the date 1682. There are three results, two dated 18/07/1682 Wakefield and one dated 10/10/1682 Wakefield. They are in the Yorkshire, England, Quarter Session Records, 1637-1914.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

So have been playing around with the free upload image site PostImage. You don't even have to sign up. However the first two goes the image was too large then when I used the resize option for forums this is the result which is not big enough to help with deciphering the text but I am going to leave it here for now.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by christanel View Post
    Hi
    before I attempt to decipher the document just to let you know the link doesn't work for me. So I went to ancestry and typed his name in the search box and then in the Add an Event line I clicked on Any Event and entered the date 1682. There are three results, two dated 18/07/1682 Wakefield and one dated 10/10/1682 Wakefield. They are in the Yorkshire, England, Quarter Session Records, 1637-1914.

Christina
    That's weird, Christina, because I tried it after I broke the link, and I've tried it again now, and both times it worked OK. Did you include the final e, and did you keep it a soace between it and rest of the last 'word'?

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Downes View Post
    That's weird, Christina, because I tried it after I broke the link, and I've tried it again now, and both times it worked OK. Did you include the final e, and did you keep it a space between it and rest of the last 'word'?

Pam
    The link didn't work for me either Pam but just typing the name into Ancestry reveals the hits Christina is talking about straight away. I think Ros must be referring to the 18th July document - I eventually found Moses Teasdale but it's the third entry down on the left hand side (when Ros said the second page I was looking on the right)
    So far so good, except that all I can make out is Moses Teasdale of Ecclesfield and then what could be gent (short for gentleman). The second line defeats me.

ETA: There's clearly more info about the case in the 10th October entry but the weird thing is the page that comes up for me looks completely different to the page Christina posted. The handwriting is far worse in the one I am looking at :-)
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

Famous for offering help & advice

The link worked for me, and revealed the extract that Christina posted (3rd entry down, right hand side).
    I don't understand a word of it

For those with Ancestry access:
    - Yorkshire, England, Quarter Session Records, 1637-1914
    - Wakefield
    - Indictment
    - 1681-1684
    - page 84 (of 232)

Quote Originally Posted by fullscott View Post
    The link worked for me, and revealed the extract that Christina posted (3rd entry down, right hand side).
    I don't understand a word of it

For those with Ancestry access:
    - Yorkshire, England, Quarter Session Records, 1637-1914
    - Wakefield
    - Indictment
    - 1681-1684
    - page 84 (of 232)
    Same for me, I accessed it OK but don't understand any of it.
    Alma

OK. Mea Culpa. I had neglected to remove the space after the www. and the link now works for me too. I'll have another look over a cup of strong coffee but I make no promises

ETA: If you go to page 106 of the same file you come to the other document I found, which I think is in Secretary Hand, but at least it might be in English. I'm not totally sure that the text on page 84 isn't in Latin!!
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

I don't know if this will be any help.
    https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/...al/default.htm

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Starting to feel at home

Default Translating/Deciphering Indictment record

Hi, to Pam,Sue,Christina and others. Sorry for the confusion by leaving the www on a different line from the rest of the link. I hadn't realised. That's the right record and if anyone can help with the gist of the document if not every word I would be very grateful. Sorry for not getting back sooner but my mother who lives with us is very ill and it's left little time to check e-mails for the last few days. Apologies. I wondered if it was in Latin. And thank you for the tip on PostImage as it could be useful in the future. Thanks again.
    Ros

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast