Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Simon Leary

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Red face Simon Leary

Hi everyone, my 2 x Great Grandfather, Simon Leary, was born in Ireland Circa 1829 - 1831 (unable to trace baptism - Brickwall) He joined the military and came to South Africa between 1851 and 1853. He was with the 91st Argyllshire Regiment of Foot with service number 2592. I have found him in the 1851 census in the Barracks at Walton-on-the-hill in the Borough of Liverpool as well as on the list of those receiving medals. He must have taken a discharge from the military as he stayed on here in SA. I have all the details from that period to his death.

I was hoping to find his attestation papers which might lead me to his baptism in Ireland (Wexford Glynn according to the 1851 census)and his parents names.

Hoping someone can help....TIA

Regards Nadine

Welcome to B-G Nadine. I'm glad you took my advice and popped in here. Hopefully someone with a greater knowledge than me of either military or Irish records will be able to help. In the meantime, why not have a good look round the site, paying particular attention to the "sticky" thread at the top of each forum.
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thx very much Sue...I will do that

Famous for offering help & advice

the website irishgenealogy.ie is giving me an 1829 baptism for a Simon Leary but unfortunately not Wexford, so possibly not worth giving you the details. Also another 1829 baptism but in Dublin.

edit - Ancestry has an 1827 baptism for a Simon Leary at Enniscorthy, Wexford

and an 1835 baptism at Killegney, Wexford

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi Wimsey...thx for checking The funny thing with this matter is that he has 2 death notices. The 1st one issued just after his death in 1870 indicates his name as Simon Leary. for some or other reason, his wife signed another death notice in 1912 (32 years later) but it had so many errors on it. On this death notice his name was written as William Thomas Leary and his parents as William Thomas Leary and Marian Bridget Leary (1st death notice did not list parents names.

Simon Leary
    Baptism Age -0
    Birth Date - 1827
    Baptism -31 Oct 1827
    Baptism Place - Enniscorthy, Wexford, Ireland
    Diocese - Ferns
    Father - Martin Leary
    Mother - Mary Calahan

Enniscorthy is approximately 18 klms North of Glynn.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thx Christina....makes sense, but the parents names are throwing me off. That is if the parents names on the 2nd death notice are correct.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi Nadine,

I have a great (x3) grandfather) by the name of Simon David Leary (1834-1870) who came from Wexford, and settled in the Eastern Cape. He married a Joubert, but died at Aliwal North at a young age. You have information on your Simon Leary on the South African time, so if my Simon David Leary is the same as yours, then from the information I have given, should be easy enough to match. Simon's daughter (from who I am descended was Anna Catherine Caroline Leary (1866-1933). I would be really happy if they were the same person because your military information is new to me and so that would help to fill in the gaps. I do have one baptism record for Killegney (near Wexford) in Ireland that could be the one. I do know my Simon David Leary came from Wexford based on what my grandmother told me but I also recall her saying he was from Cork so who knows.

I'd really like to share information if we are talking of the same person.

Regards, Bruce Ramsay

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi again,

I just read all the other posts and yes it is definitely the same person. I have a baptism record for someone in Killegney by the name Simon Leary, parents John Leary and Judith Kehoe. Killegney is 19.3km by road to Glynn, close enough?

Thanks, Bruce

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi Bruce

Great to hear from you Yes they are definitely the same person, but as always it's the parents names that throw me off track. I have always wondered where various tree administrators that I have seen got the 2nd name as David? Maybe you can enlighten me, as I have not seen that name on any of the documents in my possession.

I would also love to share information with you, so please advise what your most convenient form of communication will be?

Kind regards

Nadine

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast