Knowledgeable and helpful

Default William Winter b1877 Treorchy - service recor

In an article in The Rhondda Leader dated 18 Sept 1915 he is described as Private William Winter, 5th Welsh, one of four soldier sons of Mr and Mrs Joseph Winter of Dumfries St. Treorchy.
    On 23 March 1918 the same newspaper reported that Private Willam Winter, K R R, son of Mr and Mrs Winter of Dumfries St had contracted fever.
    I realise that I shall be extremely lucky to find his full service record but I am having difficulty in recognising his Medal Roll Index Card. Can someone see what I am missing?

Hi
    I couldn't sort anything out in the Medal Roll index cards either so went to the Medal and Awards records, entered his name and typed King* in the keyword box. There were 4 results with only one of them in the K R R
    but he has a middle initial.
    William H Winter
    Military Year 1914-1920
    Rank - Acting Corporal
    Regiment or Corps - King ´s Royal Rifle Corps
    Regiment number - 64236
    Medal Awarded - British War Medal and Victory Medal

Did your man have a middle initial?
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Typing Welsh in to the keyword box in the Medal and Award records you have a choice of 4 William Winters connected to Welsh regiments.
    Christina
    William Burroughs

I thought i would take a look at him in the censuses and in 1881 he is with his parents Joseph and mary Ann. In 1891 still there

RG11 Piece 4422 Folio 75 Page 44
    Joseph Winter 35
    Mary A Winter 36
    William Winter 15
    John Winter 11
    Walter Winter 9
    Ellen Winter 7
    Albert Winter 4
    Joseph Winter 8 months
    Ruth Evans 82 mother-in-law

Still with parents in 1901 but in 1911 he is at 22 Castle St Cwmpark Treorky with his wife and children
    William Winter 33
    Elizabeth M Winter 33
    Dorothy May Winter 3
    Ivy Elizabeth Winter 1
    Esther Ida May Winter 6 months

So why do the newspapers not mention them in the article?

Anyway if you are lucky enough to find a service record this info will sort him out from the crowd but it doesn't help with the medal Roll index card and as he doesn't show with a middle initial anywhere I think you can forget the one William H I found in the medal roll ndex cards
    Maybe investigating the brothers in the military records may produce a lead.
    Christina
    William Burroughs

Thanks, Christina. At least it's some consolation that I did not miss anything obvious.
    I did find a medal card for a William Winter, 21601 private, Welsh Regiment, but no mention of which battalion. He was awarded SWB (132068) but original attached to Index does not relate. A possibility
    I found the other three brothers mentioned in the 1915 newspaper article but only medal cards and no help in search for William.
    A further article in March 1918 stated that all six Winter brothers in the army. The two late-comers were twins Joseph ( registered as Josiah at birth) and Mark (later known as James Mark) but I cannot identify any records relating to them.

Quote Originally Posted by brentor boy View Post
    Thanks, Christina. At least it's some consolation that I did not miss anything obvious.
    I did find a medal card for a William Winter, 21601 private, Welsh Regiment, but no mention of which battalion. He was awarded SWB (132068) but original attached to Index does not relate. A possibility
    I found the other three brothers mentioned in the 1915 newspaper article but only medal cards and no help in search for William.
    A further article in March 1918 stated that all six Winter brothers in the army. The two late-comers were twins Joseph and Mark but I cannot identify any records relating to them.
    PS NOTE THAT I HAVE DELETED THE ALIASES. WRONG SET OF TWINS!

I have now found the SWB record for William Winter 21601. He was aged 22years 5months when discharged in October 1917, so born circa May 1895 and therefore not my man

It would seem that my William Winter was 37/38 when he enlisted prior to September 1915 and, if the newspaper evidence is to be believed, he was still in service in March 1918. Using those criteria, I have eliminated the following individuals.

William Winter.Rifle Brigade, 22 Wessex and Welsh.1006/20134/8596. He was 36 when he joined 5th Welsh in 1914 but his home address was Cardiff, he had previous service with Carmarthen Militia Artillery and was discharged in 1916. I have found a potentially matching entry for him in Cardiff in 1911.

William Winter. Welsh Regt Depot. 17294, and William Winter. Welsh Regt and Royal Welsh Fusilliers. 288159. Both were awarded Silver War Badge, the record of which gives their ages at discharge as 22/23.

This leaves William Winter. Welsh Regt 25478 and Labour Corps 582950, about whom I can find neither age nor dates. Is it possible that, given his age, my William was considered better suited to a non- combatant role?

Can anyone see any other William Winter that might be worthy of investigation?