Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Settling in

Quote Originally Posted by helachau View Post
    I've been puzzling over his role descriptions ie. 1885 marriage - Caretaker**; 1891 Census - Superintendent; 1898 newspapers - toll collector/taker. Is he the William Winter, farmer 11 acres, born West Malling in the 1881 Census, Kent, whose wife died 1883? If so, how did he end up in Menai Bridge?

Would like to nail "Penybont" (from his burial record).

** - have seen this used for the Conwy toll bridge
    I believe this is him. In 1861 he was shown as "Carpenter's mate" in Wellesley, Kent. Then for at least 11 years he works a farm in Ightham, then he winds up in Menai. His death certificate in Menai lists his occupation as "ship's carpenter"! Somehow both he and Hester wound up in Menai... did they go together? Malling is not far from Trottiscliffe and William Knight's mother was also a Nash so maybe there were family connections. William's wife dies in '83, Hester finds out her 2nd husband was a bigamist in '84 and they wind up in Bangor in '85... crazy

Settling in

Homeless in February in Wales... and her with living children and step-children... and only 56... sad state of affairs.

Famous for offering help & advice

I'm not aware of a place called Wellesley in Kent ?

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Not wanting to burst the bubble, I found this info:
    At the mainland end the suspending members are taken into the former Toll House, a low 3-storey classical ashlar faced building with channelled rustication to ground floor. 3-bay front facing bridge with broad and taller end pilasters and arched entries; central bay advanced and taller and flanking bays have 12-pane sash windows below blind recessed panels; arched openings to ground floor 'loggia”. 2-bay side elevations with similar detail. The building ramps down at rear which is part modernised. Later toll houses were built at either end of the bridge.

The site reference: https://www.bangorcivicsociety.org.uk...x/1%20(61).htm

The Coflein photo identifies the Toll House on the Anglesey side of the Bridge. Before posting I had checked which end William was residing in '91 Census. I determined he was on the Anglesey side. The former toll house described was on the mainland.

Cannot check the site you have posted - returns "This site cannot be reached"?
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Settling in

Sorry... it is the HMS Wellesley. The Ancestry header says: "Kent>Vessels>Wellesley". William Knight born in Malling Kent

Settling in

The Coflein photo identifies the Toll House on the Anglesey side of the Bridge. Before posting I had checked which end William was residing in '91 Census. I determined he was on the Anglesey side. The former toll house described was on the mainland.

Thanks... I knew that's where it should be. Very cool, pix from two angles! Would there have been toll-keepers on both sides of the bridge?

oops! I thought Llandysilio was on the mainland

Quote Originally Posted by PaulWBetts View Post
    Sorry... it is the HMS Wellesley. The Ancestry header says: "Kent>Vessels>Wellesley". William Knight born in Malling Kent
    RG 9; Piece: 4479; Folio: 2; Page: 2
    William Knight
    Estimated birth year: 1828
    Relation: Carpenters Mate (Mate)
    Where born: Malling, Kent, England
    Civil Parish: Vessels
    Town: Medway River Chatham
    County/Island: Kent
    Registration district: Anglesey
    Sub-registration district: Holyhead

There was a training vessell in the Menai Straits, HMS Conway which William may have been seconded to, so William Knight got to sample Anglesy in 1861!

Seems you have both William's and Hester/Esther's death certs. What address is given on each?

The parish burial registers can be viewed on FindMyPast.
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast