Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

I've been puzzling over his role descriptions ie. 1885 marriage - Caretaker**; 1891 Census - Superintendent; 1898 newspapers - toll collector/taker. Is he the William Winter, farmer 11 acres, born West Malling in the 1881 Census, Kent, whose wife died 1883? If so, how did he end up in Menai Bridge?

Would like to nail "Penybont" (from his burial record).

** - have seen this used for the Conwy toll bridge
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

In Nov 1889, Menai Bridge hit the headlines when the tolls were increased. The two collectors, Henry Wilton and Robert Jefferson (one day shift and 1 night shift) appeared in court for unlawfully demanding/taking tolls.
    In the 1891 Census Henry Wilton's occupation is "Collector at Bridge, born Plymouth, English speaker"". (Yet to spot Jefferson in '91).The lessee of the bridge employing the two collectors was a Mr Piercy.

Speaking Welsh, therefore, not a requirement.
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Brick wall demolition expert!

Toll collection at turnpike gates were put out to annual auction. Notices were published in papers setting how much particular gates had raised in the previous year, and then people would bid for right to collect tolls, and make or lose money as the case may have been. They would pay the owner of the turnpike gate (possible the owner of the road) the amount bid.

In April 1859 the Menai Bridge Tolls were put up auction by Mr Pritchard of Bangor at the Penrhyn Arms Hotel and “after a spirited competition” were won by Messrs Palmer & Scudder for £1,445 being £45 higher than the previous year. (North Wales Chronicle 9 April 1859). I think that this suggests that it was one of the most expensive tolls.

In Jan 1866 there was an outraged letter to the North Wales Chronicle, calling for an urgent reduction in the toll levels, suggesting that the bridge was built for the convenience of the Royal Mail and Irish and they are the ones who should pay for it rather the locals who had been paying for it for the previous 40 years!

From an advert placed in the North Wales Chronicle Feb 1868 it appears that the amounts raised at auction went to the Government under the guise of something called the Holyhead Road Commissioners, which was set up under an Act enable under William IV – presumably to build the bridge. That year they were looking for £1,865 for the Menai Bridge and £800 for the Conway Bridge. At the same time the Govt’s commissioners were also putting out to auction other turnpikes on the Holyhead to Shrewsbury turpike road, and not one of those gates exceeded £430 per annum, so it would seem that the locals complaining about the level of the tolls were right to do so.

By 1891 they were no longer having public auctions for toll contracts, but tenders submitted to the commissioners in London for periods of up to 3 years. “The Commissioners do not bind themselves to accept the highest or any Tender”.

Quote Originally Posted by helachau View Post
    Would like to nail "Penybont" (from his burial record).
    May be this
    Pen-y-bont, an area at the edge of Bala lake in Snowdonia where the River Dee leaves the lake. Signpost just before entering Bala from the west, I thought it referred to the bridge (pont in Welsh I believe). It is 9 miles from the A5 (Holyhead to London road)

Brick wall demolition expert!

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Wilson View Post
    May be this
    Pen-y-bont, an area at the edge of Bala lake in Snowdonia where the River Dee leaves the lake. Signpost just before entering Bala from the west, I thought it referred to the bridge (pont in Welsh I believe). It is 9 miles from the A5 (Holyhead to London road)

In Welsh Pen-y-bont translates literally as top of the bridge, and it could a place name or the name of dwelling, as I think it was in this case. See the map reference from post 8.

Settling in

It says William died at the "Bridgehouse Menai Bridge". I have Esther's death certificate but not the parish burial record. How do I get access to that? Did they bury suicides like they would others?

It seems to me that "late of" could simply refer to the fact that she was now dead and thus no longer lived anywhere. Hard to say. I've been wondering if her removal from the Bridgehose was imminent thus contributing to her apparent despair.

Settling in

Wow... this is great information! Thanks... so interesting!

Settling in

I can't get over how helpful you all have been! This is a treasure trove. I had previously written to the archives in Wales and they provided me with newspaper accounts of the inquest... that was something like 15 years ago. When I started back down my g-g-grandmother's track, I assumes that, with the improved technology, I might have greater access, but I never, in my wildest dreams anticipated this kind of generous response of time and energy. Thank you all so much!

Settling in

Quote Originally Posted by Megan Roberts View Post
    I found this web site and it might be worth contacting them to see if they can give you some information about how the bridge was operated.

https://menaibridges.co.uk
    I have sent them a query regarding general info about William Knight and about use of the various terms used to describe his role there.

Settling in

Quote Originally Posted by helachau View Post
    Agreed - hence my describing the register entries as "unusual"
    Found a pic' of the old toll house (long gone)
    https://coflein.gov.uk/en/site/415326...pension-bridge
    So the structure my g-g-grandmother lived in was still standing by 1960? When the photo says it was taken before 1960, I'm assuming that is when it was torn down.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast