Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Settling in

Default leeds city football club

HI TRYING TO FIND INFORMATON ON SAMUAL (SAM) GLOVER HE WAS IN CYNIDICATE THEN BECAME A DIRECTOR OF THE CLUB PROBEBLY BORN BETWEEN 1860/1880. HE WAS INVOLVED IN THE SCANDEL BEFOR IT BECAME LEEDS UNITED

What sort of information are you looking for, and what do you already know?
    For his family, I'd start with his birth certificate, his parents' marriage certificate and the census for siblings, ages and birthplaces. Did he marry? What was her name? These bits of information help to make him stand out from other Sam Glovers.
    For the football club, your best source would probably be the newspapers of the time.

It's nicer to know what you have already done, than get a message saying "I know that" after spending time on him.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

If he was born between 1860 and 1880 then you've got about seventy Samuel Glovers to choose from.
    However, restricting the 'county' search on FreeBMD to West Riding of Yorkshire brings up only one in 1870, in Dewsbury registration district.
    https://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl

GRO's website has mother's maiden name as Rogers.
    https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/c...xes_search.asp

I would have thought your best bet would be the newspapers in the hope that his age is mentioned in some of the articles.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Brick wall demolition expert!

The football club scandal was 1919

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leeds_City_F.C.

At the bottom of the above article is a link to a newspaper article which has a solitary mention of Mr S Glover who as a director was banned for life.

Surprised to see Herbert Chapman involved with scandal and survivng to remain in football - one of the greats.

You have provided a broad year of birth span for Sam but to kick off (sorry - couldn't resist) might this be the Sam you are chasing?

From an article on the web "The Mighty Mighty Whites - Review of 1915-1919" I spotted " ... will sell the assets of the club to a syndicate comprising Messrs. J Connor (President of the West Riding FA), J C Whiteman, S Glover (Morley), Geo. Sykes and W H Platts".
    The reference is to "S. Glover" but most of the items about this syndicate refer to "Sam Glover".

Yorkshire Post & Leeds Intelligencer, 27 Mar 1929

DEATHS
    GLOVER - Mar 24, at "Roseville", Prospect Road, Blackpool, age 64 years, SAM GLOVER, of Morley. Will be interred at Morley Cemetery today (Wednesday), Mar 27. Service at St. Peter's Church, Morley at 2pm. Will all friends please meet at the Church.

This gives a birth/death 1865-1929.

Might well be putting 2 and 2 together and coming up with 5!!
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Batley News, 19 Jan 1906
    DEATHS
    MORLEY
    Glover - On the 13th inst, in her 43rd year, Hannah, wife of Sam Morley, Providence House, 18 Victoria Rd

Again, a tenuous link via "Morley"

Courtesy of Ancestry's England & Wales, National Probate Calendar (Index of Wills and Administrations), 1858-1995
    [B]
    Sammy CLOVER[ of 4, Prospect Road Blackpool, died 24 March 1929 probate Lancaster 9 May to Edgar Glover motor salesman and Benjamin Marshall Glover cloth manufacturer. Effects £657 10s. (note entered under CLOVER not GLOVER)

Benjamin Marshall Glover married Marjorie Swanson Clough Dec 7th 1922 at St Silas Hunslet
    Benjamin a woollen manufacturer, father Sam Glover woollen manufacturer.

1911 census, Landsdowne House, Church St Morley. RG14; Piece: 27224
    Sam Glover, 45, woollen manufacturer, Gildersome
    Jennie Glover, wife 47, married 3 yrs, Morley
    Laura Glover, 21, Gildersome
    Edgar Glover, 18, Morley
    Alice Glover, 15, Morley
    Benj M Glover, 12, Morley.
    Alma

Hi gloverit

I have noticed that on your past requests you haven't acknowledged receipt of the help you've been given. You will always receive the fullest help when interacting with those helping you. Perhaps you start a thread then cannot find your way back to it?

There's a lot more information available on the Glovers' but without your input we don't know what information you are seeking or whether you are seeing the replies, therefore I'll leave this request for now until or if you come back here.
    Alma

I'd plumped for Sam, woollen manufacturer, YoB 1866, from the 1901 (wife Hannah) and 1911 Censuses as "Leeds United Sam" but still looking for confirmation other than the Morley link.

Settling in

Quote Originally Posted by almach View Post
    Hi gloverit

I have noticed that on your past requests you haven't acknowledged receipt of the help you've been given. You will always receive the fullest help when interacting with those helping you. Perhaps you start a thread then cannot find your way back to it?

There's a lot more information available on the Glovers' but without your input we don't know what information you are seeking or whether you are seeing the replies, therefore I'll leave this request for now until or if you come back here.
    hello iv not been able to get on here for a while just going through my replys now thankx

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast