Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Service Records Help

I am searching for any information regarding My Grandfather and where he served in WW2. I don't have any relatives with any information as My Grandmother re married shortly after my Grand Father passed away; in fact I have not long learnt where he is buried.

All the details I have is His Name, Service Number and a photo of his Headstone but I would like to know where he served. Is the any way that this information can be obtained please?

Much appreciation for any assistance

Roger

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Hello Roger,

Welcome to British-Genealog.

Service records for personnel who served after 1921 are still held by the Ministry of Defence.
    Full details of how to apply with links to the forms needed can be found at
    https://www.british-genealogy.com/fo...757#post585757
    In addition to the forms you will need to send a sterling cheque for thirty pounds and a copy of his death certificate. I know that in some countries fees can almost double the cost of a sterling cheque, so I would suggest that once you have a copy of the death certificate that you email the MoD, explaining the difficulties in obtaining a cheque and asking if it would be possible for them to check they do have a record for your grandfather. I think they're usually sympathetic in such cases, but obviously don't expect a speedy reply at the moment. If you do apply for the records I expect that you're facing a wait of a minimum of six months based on the current lockdown.

Re the death certificate - I've just re-read the instructions, and you don't have to send a copy if the person died in the war, which I think might apply to your grandfather. Perhaps you could confirm this.
    Does he have a CWGC headstone?

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”