Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default 6th Dragoon Guards - Farrier Major

G'day. I am looking into the career of my Gt Gt Grandfather Farrier Major James Linder Regt No. 935 who was with the 6th Dargoon Guard. The questions I have are -
    Did their wives move with the Regiment where possible?
    Is a Farrier Major a staff or officer title?
    Would he have had to actually fight bearing in mind his job seemed to be with the horses?
    I know he went to Crimea and then on to the Indies - were they away from home for all those years?
    Is there anyone who is able to do a lookup on the 1851 and 1861 Worldwide Army lists?
    With many thanks for your help!
    Best regards
    Kelly

Famous for offering help & advice

01/01/1851-31/03/1851
    Cahir, Ireland

On board ship from Meerut East Indies

"dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

There's an interesting letter in Saunders's News Letter, 31 March 1854 from the Secretary of the "Central Association in Aid of Soldiers' Wives and Families".

"The wives of soldiers now embarking for active service may be divided into three classes:-
    1. Those women who are married with military sanction, and have been allowed to embark with their husbands, at the rate of four women (without families) to every hundred men
    2. Those women who, though married with military sanction, have not been allowed to embark (though prepared to do so) in consequence of the number being reduced from six per cent to four, and in consequence of their having families.
    3. Those women who are married without military sanction, and have no claim whatever to military favour or indulgence of any kind.
    Government not only pays the passage of all soldiers' wives (whether married with leave or without) to their parishes, but also grants an allowance of 10d a day to every soldier's wife, and 6d to every soldier's child not above the age of fourteen, until they arrive at their parishes, provided that they proceed from their regiments without waiting until the embarkation.
    Government then leaves them, and in most cases the parish workhouse is the only alternative."

Not sure if the rank of "Farrier Major" qualified for any special treatment? From what I can see the rank was restored 1852 with the equvalence of "Sergeant Major".

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by helachau View Post
    Not sure if the rank of "Farrier Major" qualified for any special treatment? From what I can see the rank was restored 1852 with the equvalence of "Sergeant Major".
    Hello and thank you so much. Very helpful.