Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "Grimster" ?

Famous for offering help & advice

Default "Grimster" ?

the 1911 census for 39 year old (born abt 1872) David Scott, registration district Hartley Wintney, district number 109, piece 6255 - says he was born in GRIMSTER, Orkney.

I can't find any such place ??

any suggestions please ?

Brick wall demolition expert!

According to GENUKI's Gazetteer the following places in Orkney start with the letter 'G':

1. Gorseness
    2. Graemsay
    3. Greenigo
    4. Greeny
    5. Grimbister
    6. Grimeston
    7. Grobister
    8. Guith

So I would guess at either number 5 or 6?

https://www.genuki.org.uk/index.php/...display_type=1

thank you. Grimbister looks good. I can imagine that being pronounced Grimster.

Don't forget to allow for the broad Orkney accent. He would have given the info verbally, and the clerk would have written what he heard.

Mind you, I've had a look at Scotlands People and they don't have a birth registration for David Scott 1870-1875 on Orkney. There are 39 entries for males with the surname Scott over that period, but nothing even close to David. To be thorough, I checked the 41 females in case of misfiling, and there's nothing there, either.

The closest Davids on either side of 1872 are 1868 (Shapinsay and North Ronaldsay) and 1882 (3 of them).. It might be worth checking the 2 Davids born 1868, people were vague about their ages, and I've seen bigger errors than 4 years. I don't have the credits to check the actual certificates for parental names I'm afraid.
    One of the two may be the David Scott, b. abt 1869 Orkney, a teacher resident in
    Edinburgh with mother Mary and his brother & sister.

thank you. I must have misunderstood the 1911 census. I thought the form was filled in and signed by the head of household rather than verbally communicated.

I don't know whether I'm making a big mistake with this person. He married Annie Burke at Chatham in Kent in 1891, then, after a spell in the Boer War, filed for a divorce in 1902. However he then seems to be back with Annie in 1911 and is still with her on the 1939 register, giving a date of birth of 7 May 1871. His occupation on the said 1911 census is "painters labourer".

Sorry, I must switch my brain on before answering!

However, we have all seen people whose ages vary by more or less than 10 years n the census, and I can’t see any other way around the lack of David-births... I didn’t check which parishes were in each of the registration districts - I have the book somewhere, but the GENUKI page should show it.

I found the same birth registrations as Lesley in Shapinsay and North Ronaldsay, and looked at those parishes on the large scale maps at the National Library of Scotland, but I didn't see any localities looking like Grimster. I also tried with variants on the surname, which brought up a few extras, the nearest of which was Stott - this might have been in Deerness, as I remember looking at that on the map too.

What was his birthplace given as in other censuses? And from his marriage, what was his father's name and occupation? That might give us a bit more to look for and possibly locate his parents in 1871, even though (per 1939 Register) he wasn't born till a month later.

I found on a list of burials for Firth graveyard a Samuel Scott from Grimbister d 1902 age 86 and his widow Ann d 1908. Possible grandparents or other relatives?

I have found a birth of a David Scott Moar in Firth (which I think would cover Grimbister) in 1871. I can't find him in 1881 in Orkney so far or a death between 1871 and 1881.

Knowledgeable and helpful

Findmypast British Army Service Records has a David Scott attesting in the Royal Engineers on 9th
    April 1887, giving his place of birth as the parish of Grimster, near the town of Firth, Orkney. His age is recorded as 15years 10 months. That would give a birth around mid-1871. This man was discharged on 8th June 1910. He was a telegraphist, which matches the occupation on the 1939 Register. His nok is recorded as his mother, Mary Scott, with an address in Southsea.

There is a David Scott Moar b. 7th May 1871 at Grimbister, Firth, Orkney, to Mary Moar, a domestic servant. The birth is recorded as illegitimate, with no father's name. Again, the dob matches that on the 1939 Register.

A Mary Moar, domestic servant, married a David M B Scott, a seaman, in Dollar in 1878.

Peter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast