Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default New member needing help.

I’m trying to find the records for my Grandad but not getting anywhere at all.
    His name was Walter Watts, he lived in Birmingham at the point of enlisting in 1939.
    I have a 1939 census record, it has his details as Walter Watts, Private 5436318, Duke of Cornwall’s Light Infantry.
    I’ve entered those details but it comes up blank.
    According to family knowledge, or lack of, he served in the Warwickshire Regiment, his rank was Colour Sergeant. I don’t know for sure where he served, it has been mentioned that he served in India but I’ve no idea where else.
    Apologies for the lack of info or being in the wrong place if I am but hoping to find some help.
    Tony

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Hello Tony,

Welcome to British-Genealogy.

I suspect that you might have come to us via Forces War Records, in which case this should explain the connection.
    https://www.british-genealogy.com/fo...rs-Please-Read

While certain parts of a military career (e.g. being a prisoner of war) may be available the main service records for anyone who enlisted after 1921 are still held by the Ministry of Defence. Details of how to
    apply can be found here.
    https://www.british-genealogy.com/fo...757#post585757

In addition to the forms you will need to send a copy of Walter's death certificate and a cheque for thirty quid. Due to the present Covid19 problem I expect that there will be a wait of at least four to five months before you will receive a reply.

If you haven't got a copy of the death certificate then you need to apply to the GRO (General Register Office).
    https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/
    If your Walter is the one who died in 1981, then the details you need are
    Walter Watts, 1981, second quarter, Droitwich registration district, volume number 29 page number 0185.

If I can press the right buttons in the right order, I will move this thread to the Military - Army Forum.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Famous for offering help & advice simmo1's Avatar

HI

Pam is right, his records are still with MOD and very little if any at all will be online on any site.
    His service number indicates he joined the regiment as it is in the range issued to them - The Duke of Cornwall's Light Infantry 5429001 - 5485000.

regards

Robert
    Remembering

My Father 1819170 Lance Bombardier Robert Simpson 39/14 L.A.A. R.A.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi Pam, thank you for your reply.
    Yes it was via Forces War Records, infact I hadn't even realised that I'd been diverted to here.

You are correct, it is Walter Watts,died 1981, Droitwich.Thank you for you advice, I'll dig deeper through the route you've suggested.
    Best wishes.
    Tony