Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: ROBINSON FAMILY

Starting to feel at home

i had found one baptised in July 1809 at Harrogate s o William and Isabella but can only find one in 1806 on family search bapt 2 years before they marry...says it all really...

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by Groundhopper View Post
    i had found one baptised in July 1809 at Harrogate s o William and Isabella but can only find one in 1806 on family search bapt 2 years before they marry...says it all really...
    Groundhopper,
    It's nine months since you last posted in this thread, and a lot of stuff has happened in the meantime.

It would therefore make more sense if you can explain properly what you mean by 'one baptised'. One what exactly? Cecil? Zebedee? Carlotta?
    Where did you find it? In an actual parish register? Or a transcript?
    And to which previous post in this thread are you referring?

Ditto the bit about the 'one in 1806 on FamilySearch baptised two years before they marry'.
    Again, what have you found? Who have you found? PR image or transcript? And exactly what does the PR or transcript say? Re the 1806 entry, if the parents aren't married the entry usually reads either as just the mother's name, or 'son of John Smith and Mary Zucchini'. Not 'son of John and Mary Smith'.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Starting to feel at home

Sorry Pam...i am finally writing up my new information from 9 months ago...as a key worker its been a busy time. I keep finding questions rereading through...so for example #20 mentions the 1851 census with Isabella Robinson a widow and gives her daughter Ann and grand daughter Frances...but what are their surnames..and is Ann married and Frances her daughter or what...thanks for your continued help.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by Groundhopper View Post
    Sorry Pam...i am finally writing up my new information from 9 months ago...as a key worker its been a busy time. I keep finding questions rereading through...so for example #20mentions the 1851 census with Isabella Robinson a widow and gives her daughter Ann and grand daughter Frances...but what are their surnames..and is Ann married and Frances her daughter or what...thanks for your continued help.
    After reading through the whole thread I presume you mean post #39.

The usual rule when transcribing a census entry is that unless a surname is different to the first one given, then all the other people have the same surname. In this case unless Ann married another Robinson then she is single. Frances could be Ann's daughter; the illegitimate daughter of another of Isabella's daughter, or the daughter of a son. You need to see if you can find Frances' birth registration in the index on the GRO's website and see if it gives a mother's maiden name.
    https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/c...ates/login.asp
    Note that Jomot1 also gave the census reference so you can easily find the entry for yourself. If you don't have a subscription to either Findmypast or Ancestry then you may find that you can access one or the other for free, often at home, through your local library.

And regardless of however kind people are in transcribing entries from whatever source, it is always good practice to check everything for yourself. Been there, done that, got the T-shirt, thoroughly embarrassed myself by making schoolgirl errors when transcribing. Also, people have been known to copy from the transcription instead of checking the image for themselves. That caused me terrible confusion in my early searching days when 2x great-grandfather suddenly went from being 48 in 1871 to being only 39 in 1881. 39 in transcription, 59 on the image.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345