Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: ROBINSON FAMILY

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by Groundhopper View Post
    someone raised a marriage in 1845 but i raised the point that i have them living with children in 1841 so cautious but i havent an alternative.
    You are obviously not reading posts #11, 12, 13, 15, and 18 are you? If you were, you would know why the marriage in 1845 is given.

The couple in Stockton give their places of birth as Harrogate and Knaresborough thus my comment that i had found a baptism of Elizabeth Simpson in Knaresborough in 1811 DAUGHTER of Thomas Simpson, hairdresser and offered an baptism date Thomas Robinson in Harrogate the son of William Robinson who could have married Isabella How in Leeds in 1808. This could explain the use of the name Isabella and also why Harrogate and Leeds were both used in the census as his place of birth. My refernces in the family history are from the census returns obviously and certificates.And the baptisms of the children were all on the same microfilm so would have been the same church
    Not necessarily. Depends where you were reading the microfilm. If it was at a county Record Office/Archive, then the answer is probably, yes, it would be the same church.
    However, if you were reading a microfilm at an LDS FHC, then you can have records for more than one church on a microfilm. (That caused me many a headache until I got used to how the system worked.)

I cannot emphasise enough that there is more than one Thomas and Elizabeth around, so you do need to check everything at least twice.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Starting to feel at home

OH YES THANKS pAM
    JUST RE READ THE POSTS its what happens when i post soomething and whilst i am at work get loads of replies...thanks everybody and have learned my lesson.

Famous for offering help & advice

in 1841 Thomas 33 sawyer and Elizabeth 34 are with Ann 8 Elizabeth 3 and a Thomas Moore plasterer
    Thomas died in 1880 at 1 Lodge street but i havent got a death for his wife.
    It was witnessed by a cousin of his wife so maybe she had died between 1871 and 1880
    Elizabeth is still at 1 Lodge Street in 1881
    Elizth Robinson 69 Head Widow born Knaresbro, Yorkshire
    WH Brotherton 20 Boarder Coach Builder b Dacre Banks Yorkshire

And also in 1891
    Elizabeth Robinson 79 Head Widow b Knaresborough, Yorkshire
    Thomas C Thompson 22 Boarder Drysalters Counterman b Staithes, Yorkshire

There is a burial on 7 Apr 1900 at Oxbridge Lane Cemetery for Elizabeth Robinson aged 88 that may be her.

ROBINSON, ELIZABETH aged 88 GRO Reference: 1900 J Quarter in STOCKTON Volume 10A Page 29

Starting to feel at home

Quote Originally Posted by Jomot1 View Post
    Elizabeth is still at 1 Lodge Street in 1881
    Elizth Robinson 69 Head Widow born Knaresbro, Yorkshire
    WH Brotherton 20 Boarder Coach Builder b Dacre Banks Yorkshire

And also in 1891
    Elizabeth Robinson 79 Head Widow b Knaresborough, Yorkshire
    Thomas C Thompson 22 Boarder Drysalters Counterman b Staithes, Yorkshire

There is a burial on 7 Apr 1900 at Oxbridge Lane Cemetery for Elizabeth Robinson aged 88 that may be her.

ROBINSON, ELIZABETH aged 88 GRO Reference: 1900 J Quarter in STOCKTON Volume 10A Page 29

Thankyou all for your help on this it has changed and corrected my understanding of the Robinson family. My next job is to try and go further back on the line with William Robinson the shoemaker who married Isabella How in Leeds during 1808. I had no luck with getting further than this but cannot recall if the marriage entry gave anymore information. I did find a William Robinson on the 1841 census in Harrogate aged 55 but he was recorded as a draper rather than a shoemaker...thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by Groundhopper View Post
    Thankyou all for your help on this it has changed and corrected my understanding of the Robinson family. My next job is to try and go further back on the line with William Robinson the shoemaker who married Isabella How in Leeds during 1808. I had no luck with getting further than this but cannot recall if the marriage entry gave anymore information. I did find a William Robinson on the 1841 census in Harrogate aged 55 but he was recorded as a draper rather than a shoemaker...thanks again
    Points to note:
    Marriage certificates between 1754 and 1837 usually only gave names of bride and groom, whether they were bachelor/widower/spinster/widow; where they were living at the time of the marriage (which people often mistakenly take to be the place of birth); the date; whether by banns or licence, and then the signatures or marks of the bride and groom, witnesses, and clergyman.

You might be able to find a marriage bond or allegation (google for descriptions) which could give a little more information.

Shoemaker to draper is a bit of a job-change, but he might have had to change because of something such as arthritis affecting his ability to make shoes.

Personally I would start by trying to find him in 1841.and certainly have another look at the 1851 as well. If no luck, then go through the Harrogate parish registers to see if you can find a burial for him or wife Elizabeth, plus when the last of their children were born. If there are only a couple fo children born in Harrogate then it's possible the family moved from there, which opens up another can of worms, because just as there was more than one Thomas and Elizabeth Robinson, I'm sure that there will be more than one WIlliam and Elizabeth.

Pam

Starting to feel at home

Thanks Pam...might there be a marriage bond or whatever its called for Thomas rOBINSON WHEN HE MARRIED Elizabeth Simpson as he was a widower...

I vaguely remember seeing something about a marriage bond or allegation in one of your threads, so have a read through yourself. And I apologise in advance if it wasn't one of your threads, but I'm sure it was in the last week.

I am not an expert on bonds or allegations, so as I said, use a search engine to find out more about them. I do know that one of them has two pages to it, so always look at the next image.

Pam

Starting to feel at home

thanks Pam

Famous for offering help & advice

In 1841 I think William, Isabella and two daughters are at Harewood Toll Bar, Harewood, with daughters Harriet & Ann:

Non-Conformist baptisms at Knaresborough:
    24 Nov 1824 Harriott d/o William & Isabel Robinson, Scotton, Cordwainer
    11 Dec 1827 Ann d/o William & Isabella Robinson, Scotton, Shoemaker (born 28 Nov 1827)

1841: Harewood Toll Bar, Harewood
    William Robinson 55 Toll Collector
    Isabella 55
    Harriett 17
    Ann 14

1851, Killinghall, Parish of Ripley - HO107, Piece 2282, Folio 152, Page 15
    Isabella Robinson 65 Widow, Toll Collector b Ripley
    Ann 21 Daur d Knaresbro
    Frances 5 G/Daur b Harewood

Starting to feel at home

You are a star

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast