Thread: William Barker

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default William Barker

Hello all, I am looking for military records of my grand father-William Barker. He was from Croydon and served I think between wars in Burma.

Linda, can you provide a bit more information? Which War did he fight in? Was he army? If so, which regiment? Service numbers are great! If he fought in WW1, his records may be among the 30% that survived WW2’s fires. If he fought in WW2, his records will not have been released, and you will have to apply for them - it will cost you £30 and a copy of his death certificate. You can find instructions and addresses at the top of our army or other military forums.

It’s not a very rare name, so information such as age, birthdate & place would also help.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hello and thanks for the reply. William Barker had no middle name. Was born in 1911 in Croydon he did jot fight in any war that I am aware of but was I think in the army before 1939. I have looked at forces war records but cannot find anything. He always spoke of being in Burma/India.

Hi
    As your grandfather served after 1921 any service records of his would still be held by the MoD. You can apply for them but will need his exact date of birth, a copy of his death certificate and 30 pounds to apply for them. You will not need a service number.
    Here is the link where you can download the application forms. Read them carefully so you know, depending on his date of death, what information you are entitled to receive.
    be aware that if he didn't serve you will not receive a refund.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs