Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

HjnAlma, this is fantastic, I had found the info about Elizabeth’s maiden name being hart on the marriage record, I don’t know that Joseph’s father was yet again elusive marked as ??. I’m going to look at your next thread....

All sounds completely feasible, I wonder why Joseph changes his name to Jarman to be married. And George if in Islington in 1878 to be married I wonder why he is not included in the 1871 census with the rest of the family? I don’t think Joseph Williams can be there father as if this was widely known I think he would’ve married as Williams not Jarman

I wonder what the Islington connection is, looking at Thornhill Square, Islington, where Joseph was living when he married Elizabeth Hart they are rather nice properties, and then you’ve found possible twin brother a George marries in Islington too.

Quote Originally Posted by GinetteGisborne View Post
    I wonder what the Islington connection is, looking at Thornhill Square, Islington, where Joseph was living when he married Elizabeth Hart they are rather nice properties, and then you’ve found possible twin brother a George marries in Islington too.
    Perhaps the twins took better-paid jobs than they had in West Bergholt, many people moved from small communities to London for the employment prospect London offered. Joseph's address on his marriage certificate could be his employer's, he was possibly a live-in servant. He was described as a horseman which could be a term for groom.

I will try to find George in 1871, he could be in Islington, maybe he left Essex first and Joseph followed.
    Alma

Famous for offering help & advice

Hello again. I think from looking at the freereg transcription, that Joseph's abode on marriage was in the parish of St Andrew Thornhill Square. The church is in the square but Joseph may have lived somewhere else but in that parish - I may be wrong, the civil marriage cert may give Joseph's actual addresd.

Quote Originally Posted by grisel View Post
    Hello again. I think from looking at the freereg transcription, that Joseph's abode on marriage was in the parish of St Andrew Thornhill Square. The church is in the square but Joseph may have lived somewhere else but in that parish - I may be wrong, the civil marriage cert may give Joseph's actual addresd.
    I think you are right, Grisel.

I haven't found George in 1871.
    Alma

Knowledgeable and helpful

Quote Originally Posted by almach View Post

It seems to me that Joseph and George adopted the name WILLIAMS for the census returns,
    Could this be George in 1871?

at 31 Bath Place, Islington All Saints. RG10 Piece 258 Folio 46 Page 20
    George Williams boarder unm 18 railway van guard b. Colchester

Peter

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12