rawley

Default Crumpsall Workhouse burials

Hi once again from Chicago!

Is there someone lurking in the shadows of MCL who might be able to help me? My great-grandmother and her father both died in the Crumpsall Workhouse, 10 years apart:

MARY ANN (HOWARD) HEFFERON died 10 OCT 1894 @age 39
    EDWARD HOWARD died 17 Sep 1904 @age 73

I've been told that Manchester Central Library hold the records of Philips Park Cemetery where many inmates of the workhouse were buried. Both were Roman Catholic, if that makes any difference.

I'd be very grateful for any info.

Kay

John

Kay,
    MCL do indeed hold the records of Philips Park Cemetery, they also cover North Manchester cemetery and possibly others. However they won't tell you anything you don't already know, apart from the grave number and as that will most likely be a public grave, no help there.
    What information are you seeking?

John

uksearch

Quote Originally Posted by rawley
    Hi once again from Chicago!

Is there someone lurking in the shadows of MCL who might be able to help me? My great-grandmother and her father both died in the Crumpsall Workhouse, 10 years apart:

Kay
    I haven't been lurking for a couple of days .Other fish to fry at the moment...may be back in the morning or Thursday.

UK

rawley

Default Crumpsall Workhouse burials

Hi John and UK,

Thanks for taking the time to respond to my question. As to the information that I am seeking: I simply want to determine where they are buried.

I also have one more, but he didn't die at Crumpsall. He was my great-grandfather, the husband of MARY ANN: ROBERT HEFFERON, 43 Gould Street, died 19 SEP 1892 at age 33. His death probably initiated the family's downward spiral into the workhouse, where MARY ANN's death in 1894 left my grandfather, THOMAS HEFFERON, an orphan at age 10. He came to the USA in 1907, and the rest is history (or at least my story).

Once again, any info on burial location would be greatly appreciated.

Kay

JoanGJ41

Default Manchester Catholic Burials

I just joined this forum and noticed your post - you may have received an answer long since, but, just in case - Catholic burials are most likely to be in the pauper section of St. Joseph's cemetery, Moston. At least one of my great-grandparents is there. They're according to date of death, with about 10-12 burials in each grave.

Procat

Hi JoanGJ41,

Kay is no longer a member of the forum and is unlikely to see your informative post.

Occasionally, just very occasionally, needs an umbrella!

Since this topic has surfaced again and therefore might attract some new attention for Crumpsall Workhouse burials, can I say that there are many burials from the workhouse at St Margaret's Church, Prestwich - not the first place I would have looked! I recently transcribed the records for St Margaret's so have some of the information if anyone wants it!!
    Barbara

Life isn't waiting for the storm to pass - it is learning to dance in the rain

Johnol48

Smile Burials at ST MARGARETS PRESTWICH

Hi Barbara

Looking through the entries having just started to use the forum I came across your response to the thread on Crumpsall Workhouse burials. What interested me is that my family had an association with St Margarets in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. In fact I have 10 or so books given as Sunday School prizes between 1900 and 1910 to my grandfather and great grandfather.

Last year I looked around the Churchyard with my son to see if I could see the graves of my great great Grandfather THOMAS LORD (1929- ), His wife ELEANOR LORD (nee DULSON 1922- ), my great Grandfather THOMAS LORD (death 22 Aug 1923), his wife MARY ELLEN LORD (nee Barlow)1857-1919 and possibly my grandfather EDWIN LORD (1894-1930). I had no success!! However I have recently had it confirmed by a family member that I have just made contact with that at least one grave does exist.

Since you have transcribed the records could you please tell me where I may find information regarding which ancestors may be buried in St Margarets Prestwich.

Thank You

John

Occasionally, just very occasionally, needs an umbrella!

Hi John

I have sent you a message containing information about a number of LORD burials at St Margaret's - hope it helps!

Barbara
    Barbara

Life isn't waiting for the storm to pass - it is learning to dance in the rain

Johnol48

Hi Barbara

Thank you ever so much. You have provided me with details of the resting places of my grandfather, his brother, my great grandfather and my great grandmother. I have sent you a more detailed e-mail

Thank you very much

John