Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    A fountain of knowledge

UPDATE!
    With an immediate reply from Karrakatta cemetery who indeed have the records for Kathleen May and husband Arthur Wilkinson and with further information. They married in Perth 1923 and her maiden name was PRICE. I can't find a birth for her in the UK so guess she was born in Oz. Arthur was born here in Bradford, Yorkshire and he, his parents and siblings sailed from Liverpool to Fremantle in 1913.As I said, I don't have her birth nor Death Notice/Obituary.
    I started this work as I am intrigued as to how Jean Watson knew the Wilkinson family in Nedlands but haven't worked out how yet,nor do think I will! Very many thanks for the input received so far which enabled me to follow the info Christina found. If anything further can be found for Kathleen it would be great. with thanks Jill.

There are 22 Medal Roll Index cards for men with the name Arthur Handley, in various regiments. Nothing to identify any of them as 'your' man.

At the moment I can only see one pension record for an Arthur John Handley born 1882 and he is not your bloke.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

A fountain of knowledge

CHRISTINA

Thanks again. I do appreciate your help. In your post No. 27 you wrote:

"The presumed son of Kathleen May served in the Australian army in WW11 born 21/12/1925 Perth Western Australia and gave Arthur Wilkinson as his next of kin."

So it's Gilbert Arthur Wilkinson you must have been referring to (although in fact another son was born
    in Oz Peter born c1935-2002)

I just need kathleen May's birth, maiden name Price and her death notice/Obit if there is one
    but I'm certainly not expecting you to do that as well! with thanks Jill

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Free online Australian newspapers.
    https://trove.nla.gov.au/

The Western Australia government https://www.bdm.justice.wa.gov.au/ doesn't seem to have an online BMD index so you might have to settle for a birth announcement in a newspaper or a baptism. For the latter try FamilySearch.

FMP has a dataset Australia, Births & Baptisms, 1792-1981 but gives no information as to where the details have come from.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Quote Originally Posted by shippo View Post
    Thanks for the correction re the online indexes.
    Web page duly bookmarked.

Pam

A fountain of knowledge

Thanks for the info on bmd. Still can't find Kathleen's birth so give up!! Jill

A fountain of knowledge

I said in my previous post here that I still can't find the birth of Kathleen May Price who married Arthur Wilkinson.
    It occurred to me that when I said I can't find her birth here in the UK that the records are for
    England and Wales. On reflection it may well be that she was born in Scotland. She is meant to be a
    distant cousin of Jane Hyslop who was born 15 MAR 1871 • Castleton, Roxburghshire, Scotland

It would be very much appreciated if someone with access to Scottish records could see if there is a
    birth for Kathleen born c1898. Christina said in a previous posting:

"Possible death of Kathleen May Wilkinson but note that there are no surnames given for the parents.
    Kathleen May Wilkinson
    Age 76
    Death Place - Western Australia
    Father's name -Frederick W
    Mother's name - Frances A
    Registration place - Perth, Western Australia
    Registration number 790/74 (no specific date given for year of death so is it 1974 as in the registration number?)"

Through cemetery records etc in Perth, WA, Kathleen did indeed die in 1974 (23.2.1974) age 76.

with thanks
    Jill

Quote Originally Posted by gilian rowland View Post
    I said in my previous post here that I still can't find the birth of Kathleen May Price who married Arthur Wilkinson.
    It occurred to me that when I said I can't find her birth here in the UK that the records are for
    England and Wales. On reflection it may well be that she was born in Scotland. She is meant to be a
    distant cousin of Jane Hyslop who was born 15 MAR 1871 • Castleton, Roxburghshire, Scotland

It would be very much appreciated if someone with access to Scottish records could see if there is a
    birth for Kathleen born c1898.
    Christina said in a previous posting:

"Possible death of Kathleen May Wilkinson but note that there are no surnames given for the parents.
    Kathleen May Wilkinson
    Age 76
    Death Place - Western Australia
    Father's name -Frederick W
    Mother's name - Frances A
    Registration place - Perth, Western Australia
    Registration number 790/74 (no specific date given for year of death so is it 1974 as in the registration number?)"

Through cemetery records etc in Perth, WA, Kathleen did indeed die in 1974 (23.2.1974) age 76.

with thanks
    Jill
    I told you in post #25 about accessing Scottish records.

If you're searching in Scotland you'll need Scotland's People which you can search for free, but have to pay to see the actual records. Some census transcriptions are avaiable for free on FreeCEN. There are also some Scottish parish registers on FreeREG.
    https://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/
    https://www.freecen.org.uk/
    https://www.freereg.org.uk/
    Pam

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by gilian rowland View Post
    CHRISTINA
    I just remembered that Jean Watson died in Nedlands in 1961 and is buried in Karrakatta cemetery,Nedlands, Perth. I found on their burial list that there is a Kathleen May Wilkinson who died 23rd February 1974.
    You found that she died age 76 so that would mean birth c1898. I can't find one in the UK.so guess she was born in Oz.
    I have just emailed them but don't know if they are in total lock down. Jill.
    Hello Jill, Pam and Christina
    My name is Jen Owens, I'm in my late fifties and live in Perth, Western Australia. I have just discovered this thread relating to a Wilkinson family of Perth and can shed some light on some of the questions you have posted a couple of years ago on this website if you are still wanting some answers?

In brief, my parents were very good friends with Kathleen May Wilkinson's (nee Price) second son, Peter Wilkinson (who passed away 20 years ago and lived in Perth) so I do have a bit of information about Kathleen, her husband Arthur, their parents' names and DOBs etc.
    Kathleen was born in Portsmouth England in 1897 and came to Australia on SS Australind in August/Sept 1913. She died on 23 Feb 1974 in Perth aged 76.

Kathleen married Arthur Wilkinson (born in Bradford nr Yorkshire, in 1893) on 20 October 1923 in Perth and they had two sons: Gilbert Arthur Wilkinson (DOB 21/12/1925) and Peter Wilkinson (DOB 20/2/1935). Gilbert died in May 1982 aged 57 yrs and Peter in Aug 2002 aged 67 yrs. Neither son married or had children.

Arthur was a chemist and a medic in the Aust Military Forces but sadly died from a peptic ulcer and subsequent peritonitis in Royal Perth Hospital on 9 Oct 1947, aged just 54 yrs.

I can provide further details (including the names of Kathleen and Arthur's parents if you are interested?

We don't know if Kathleen and the Jean lady you mentioned were cousins or if Jean stayed with the Wilkinson's, but they did live in several houses including Weld St Nedlands and Doonan Rd Claremont.

We have only recently been sorting through a collection of Wilkinson family photos that were given to my parents when Peter died. Some of the people in these we can identify, but many we cannot.

It would be lovely to communicate to see if we can solve any of your queries about this family and to establish if you know of any existing family members of the Wilkinson's who may have an interest in the photos we have, but are keen to share or pass on. We don't think there are any relatives living in Australia but would love to know if there are any in UK.

The best way to contact me is via my email : jenowens1 AT hotmail DOT com

I really hope to hear back from you.

Warm regards. Jen
    Last edited by Pam Downes; 07-07-2022 at 7:53 PM. Reason: Email address disguised to deter spammers.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast