Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Hello Jen,

Welcome to British-Genealogy.

Jill is the only person seeking answers - Christina and I were trying to help her find them; neither of us having any connection at all to the Wilkinson family.
    Even Jill's connection is not proven at the moment. She thinks Kathleen might be the second cousin of a Jane Hyssop who was born in Scotland in 1871. I think you then have to go back several generations to find the common ancestor of a second cousin. (According to one relationship chart I've just checked, a second cousin is someone who shares a great-grandparent with you, you're talking about someone who lived probably seventy five - or more - years before 1871.)

Based on your knowledge that Kathleen was born in Portsmouth (Portsea registration district) in 1897, I've found her in the 1901 and 1911 census.

In 1901, she's living with her parents Frederick W and Frances A Price in Portsmouth. Frederick is an auctioneer and valuer.
    Census reference RG13/1007 folio 53 page 12.
    Also in the household are Kathleen's five elder siblings.
    Father born in Church Langton, Leicestershire.
    Mother born in Leicester.
    One child born in North Kilworth, three in Bosworth (both places in Leicestershire) and t'other one and Kathleen born in Portsmouth.

Marriage of Frederick William Price and Frances Amy Hill registered in Leicester registration district June quarter 1884.

1911 census
    Census reference RG14/19291 SN18
    Father, mother, three elder siblings and one younger one, plus Kathleen are living in Leicester. Frederick is an auctioneer.
    Kathleen is aged 13, and her place of birth is given as Southsea, Hampshire.

Also on the ship that Kathleen sailed on in 1913 are her mother, sister Lydia, and brothers Stanley and Edward.
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

A fountain of knowledge

JEN

Very many thanks for taking the time to send a message. I note your email and will get back to you shortly.
    For now I need to refresh my memory as it's a couple of years since I worked on these families. All my research is on my Ancestry tree Watson Hughes Clarke families.
    I did an immense amount of work at the time and in fact had quite some help from those in Australia! I saw some photos posted online and took a gamble and contacted someone who is connected to the Standring families. Also someone else saw my plea for help - and I put her in contact with the first person I had found - not bad considering I'm in the UK! Many thanks - very appreciative I need to go through your info

FYI I was trying to see a possible connection between a Jean Hyslop and the Wilkinsons. Jean married one of my maternal gm's brothers here in the UK, both went to Perth, farmed in Koorda and ended up back in Perth. To cut a long story short I went to Perth end 2012 and was taken to Koorda by someone who knew Jean and to this day still in shock as I traced someone also from Koorda who knew Jean and then met her - small world!
    Best wishes Jill

PAM Very many thanks for your findings - have yet to study and absorb but many thanks!
    Best wishes Jill

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Wilkinsons of Perth Western Australia

Hello Jill and Pam

Thanks very much for your messages and all the information, some of which is new to us and some confirms what we already believed to be true - all very helpful thanks. It is clear you both have a passion and talent for genealogy.

It is fabulous to learn more about the Wilkinsons including that Kathleen came to Australia with her mother and some siblings on the SS Australind - thanks Pam - we did wonder if she came alone or with family.

I've never heard of Jean Hyslop I'm afraid, but interestingly, one of my uncles and his wife (Keith and Ann Dempsey) farmed at Koorda for many years from the mid 1970s, so another example of "small world"! Although Jean would have been there a long time before my uncle. He is in his mid eighties now and his memory is still good so I will ask him if he recalls that name at all. Was Jean in Koorda with the surname Hyslop, or was she there under a married name?

I will hold off donating Kathleen's family photographs and other documents to the WA Library or WA Royal Historical Society until I hear if you know anyone who may have a connection with the Price or Wilkinson family. I'm not expecting you to have to delve into this in a big way, but if you are currently aware of anyone who may have an interest in what we have, then we'd love to try to contact them.

Look forward to hearing from you again when you have a chance.

Regards
    Jen

Quote Originally Posted by gilian rowland View Post
    JEN

Very many thanks for taking the time to send a message. I note your email and will get back to you shortly.
    For now I need to refresh my memory as it's a couple of years since I worked on these families. All my research is on my Ancestry tree Watson Hughes Clarke families.
    I did an immense amount of work at the time and in fact had quite some help from those in Australia! I saw some photos posted online and took a gamble and contacted someone who is connected to the Standring families. Also someone else saw my plea for help - and I put her in contact with the first person I had found - not bad considering I'm in the UK! Many thanks - very appreciative I need to go through your info

FYI I was trying to see a possible connection between a Jean Hyslop and the Wilkinsons. Jean married one of my maternal gm's brothers here in the UK, both went to Perth, farmed in Koorda and ended up back in Perth. To cut a long story short I went to Perth end 2012 and was taken to Koorda by someone who knew Jean and to this day still in shock as I traced someone also from Koorda who knew Jean and then met her - small world!
    Best wishes Jill

PAM Very many thanks for your findings - have yet to study and absorb but many thanks!
    Best wishes Jill

A fountain of knowledge

Thanks again JEN - Sorry I forgot to say that Jean Hyslop married Henry WATSON - do you have Ancestry as my
    tree is Watson, Hughes, Clarke - see Henry Watson. There are lots of articles there inc him contributing to the building of the Village Hall in Koorda - it's still standing - somewhere I have a photo taken of myself
    by it - built in 1917! Re photos etc you have I will email you as following my research I have made contact
    with a few people that knew Harry and Jean plus those that knew the Wilkinsons and also the Strandings! Jill

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345