Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    A fountain of knowledge

Default WILKINSON family of Perth, W Australia

ELECTORAL ROLLS: UK & W AUSTRALIA
    1) UK: c1934

I would be grateful if someone would kindly advise if it can be found where a family was living and those in the household just with a surname and town? I found a marriage that might be for the parents ie with their Christian names.

2) PERTH W AUSTRALIA: 1939

I have a Passenger list which states Mrs J Watson arriving in Fremantle, Perth, WA on 21st November 1939. The address given is 8 Garland Place, Nedlands. I'd like to know who was living at that address at that time - doubt she would be listed. I'm hoping it's a Wilkinson family but just guessing. Seemingly Garland Place no longer exists but there is a Garland Road.
    with thanks
    Jill

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Regarding the UK, yes, but remember that only people who were eligible to vote (i.e. 21 or over) would be listed in the household. And even if the surname wasn't very common or the the first names were very unusual, you would still need to check the entire town to ensure they were the only couple with those names.
    Relatively easy to cut down the number of probables if the records for that town/city are online.
    If they're not online then you will need to check if they're held at the British Library (very many, from all over the country, are) or else go to the appropriate holding office for the relevant place. Which will be in the county, but perhaps not in the same town. You then have to search through all the pages until you have listed all the instances of your names. It's no good finding one record and saying 'Oh, there we go - Sid and Agnes Ferriby, 20 High Street', because two pages further on there might be another Sid and Agnes Ferriby. I believe I'm correct in saying that second names were not always listed.

https://www.bl.uk/collection-guides/...oral-registers
    See in particular the Electoral registers and their uses link in the 'What is available in our Reading Rooms' section.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

I did take a quick look at this earlier this morning by entering Nedlands as the place of residence and 1939 +/= 2years and the only year that came up was 1937 and without a name it had 8000 plus entries. With the name Wilkinson there were about 8 results from memory and none in a Garland Place. Using the address Garland place there were no results.

Do you have the first name of the Wilkinson you think may be at that address?
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

A fountain of knowledge

THANKS PAM re OLIVE BRENDA MORGAN born 1934 Reg ROMFORD ESSEX
    In the Queen's Address to the nation last Sunday evening she referred to Evacuees. This reminded
    me that my grandparents took in three Evacuees, one boy and two girls - none of whom are related.
    I had previously traced the boy through a letter he later wrote to my grand mother.

I had information from the 1939 Register a few years ago but with many blacked out entries so
    that didn't help me with names for the two girls. However a record has just been opened for one
    of them and that is for OLIVE BRENDA MORGAN who was born 14.3.1934 registered in Romford.
    I have found that she died 23.1.2016 in Northwood, Middx.

I would like to try to find her family and think that I have. Her mother's maiden name was Cook (from the GRO Index). I then found a marriage hopefully for her parents of Albert E (Edward?) Morgan to Ethel F Cook
    in 1914 in Romford.

Then I think I have found three siblings for Olive, all of whom might be alive. She was the last born
    in 1934. The first born in 1925 and all born/registered in Romford.

CHRISTINE

Thanks so much for looking for who was living at the given address in 1939. No I don't have the
    Christian name of the Wilkinson but it might be Kathleen.
    Many thanks
    Jill

A fountain of knowledge

PS Does a MOD think it a good idea to add the surnames MORGAN and WILKINSON to the heading please?

Quote Originally Posted by gilian rowland View Post
    PS Does a MOD think it a good idea to add the surnames MORGAN and WILKINSON to the heading please?
    You can have the thread title amended to whatever you want, but you have a limit of 45 characters and spaces so if you want the names added something else will have to go. My feeling is to leave well alone because adding the surnames doesn't add anything to your initial query.

Looks as if the electoral rolls/registers for Essex, circa 1928 -1939 at least, are still held by Essex Record Office, with possibly only one year online. https://www.
    essexarchivesonline.co.uk/
    Costs £20 a day to use online catalogue and view images, etc. (Cheaper sub is a weekly one for £30, but not really of any use if you're looking for something unlikely to have an online image.) You will need to confirm with ERO if you have to visit to view the electoral registers or whether you can get a transcript of a page through a subscription search.

Depending on how much you want to fork out regarding this non-related family, if you've found Albert and Ethel in 1939 and they're still living in Essex, possibly a cheaper option than the ERO would be to send for a copy of Olive's birth certificate and see if the address is the same.

Remember when you're talking about searches, the Romford you've been referring to is Romford registration district which is not the same as Romford town itself.Places in that registration district.
    https://www.ukbmd.org.uk/reg/districts/romford.html

ADDED: Don't know if you've seen the message in another thread, but if you don't have a sub, Ancestry UK is free this weekend.

Pam

Thanks so much for looking for who was living at the given address in 1939. No I don't have the
    Christian name of the Wilkinson but it might be Kathleen.
    In the Australia, Electoral Rolls, 1903-1980 there is only one Kathleen Wilkinson listed in Nedlands and she has the middle name May. Two entries only in 1943 and 1949. 1943 she is at 43 Weld St with an Arthur Wilkinson, Chemist and in 1949 she is at 8 Doonan St with a Gilbert Arthur Wilkinson, Clerk.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

A fountain of knowledge

Thanks PAM so much for your information and in particular the link to the area that Romford Registration
    covers. Am I allowed to ask for information for the 1939 Register for her parents - see my post No. 4?
    Olive won't be on it as she is with my grandparents as an evacuee.

CHRISTINA Very many thanks for the further information on the Wilkinson entries which at least gives
    me the further name of Alfred which may be her husband.

Jill

Ancestry UK have the 1939 Register, and (as I said in post #7) is free to access this weekend.
    You have the (believed) names of Olive's parents and possible siblings, so just search for those names. I'd try searching as living in Essex first, and have the list of places in Romford registration district to hand as that might highlight one or two possibilities.
    I don't usually use Ancestry for the 1939 Register, but I know that for the census you have boxes to add other people in the same household, so I expect that the same will apply for the 1939. Therefore either search for the husband, and then add the wife, or vice versa.

Pam

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast