Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Jill, you are trying to make facts fit, and I'm not sure that they do.

Fact one:
    I have a Passenger list which states Mrs J Watson arriving in Fremantle, Perth, WA on 21st November 1939. The address given is 8 Garland Place, Nedlands. I'd like to know who was living at that address at that time - doubt she would be listed. I'm hoping it's a Wilkinson family but just guessing. Seemingly Garland Place no longer exists but there is a Garland Road."
    Fact two:
    In the Australia, Electoral Rolls, 1903-1980 there is only one Kathleen Wilkinson listed in Nedlands and she has the middle name May. Two entries only in 1943 and 1949. 1943 she is at 43 Weld St with an Arthur Wilkinson, Chemist and in 1949 she is at 8 Doonan St with a Gilbert Arthur Wilkinson, Clerk.
    After admitting that you are just guessing with the Wilkinson surname, you then immediately jump to the conclusion that the Kathleen Wilkinson in Nedlands must be English, and that she married here in 1940.
    It could be that Kathleen did marry here in 1940, and then emigrated to Australia, also ending living in Nedlands, but it is unlikely that she would have been living there when Mrs J Watson arrived in Australia in November 1939 as that Kathleen Rae /Arthur Wilkinson marriage took place in March quarter 1940.

Googling for 'Electoral rolls, Western Australia' found this
    https://www.nla.gov.au/research-guid...tern-australia

On Ancestry, the dataset you want is called 'Australia,Electoral Rolls, 1903-1980'.
    The 'blurb' about the Western Australia rolls says
    This database currently includes electoral rolls for the following states and years. Those marked by asterisk have been transcribed. For all other years, the records were extracted using a new OCR indexing method. They were not transcribed. We encourage you to correct any errors you find in the data by going to the image and editing the name in the correction panel at the bottom of the page.
    Western Australia: 1903*, 1905, 1906*, 1909, 1910-11*, 1912-15, 1916*, 1917-22, 1925*, 1926, 1928-30, 1931*, 1934, 1936-37*, 1943*, 1949*, 1954*, 1958*, 1963*, 1968*, 1972*, 1977*, 1980*
    Many local libraries in the UK have free access to what is called the 'library edition' of Ancestry, and if you're not already, you should at the moment be able to join your library remotely.

Alternatively, your library may offer free access to the library edition of FMP, which has
    1939, 1943, and 1949 only, in the dataset Australia Electoral Rolls.

Both Ancestery and FMP have some emigration/passenger/immigration lists but as my ancestors were all stay-at-homebodies I've never had to use them, so don't know what exists for where.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

A fountain of knowledge

Thanks Pam for your reply. I am sorry you think I am jumping to conclusions. My intention was to give
    what little information I have inc a possible marriage which I didn't mean to indicate i think Kathleen
    was married in the UK.
    I said that it is thought that Jean was a distant cousin of Kathleen. As i said I thought there might
    be a Passenger list since we have names and address.

On 29th July 1937 Jean sailed from Fremantle to the UK. In the 1939 Register she is staying with a
    Wilkinson family.

" 1939 Register: only c34 listed for the parish. Snabdough Farm occ by the Wilkinson family, friends from UK & Koorda, William Edward & Isabella, Agnes Douglas, William Edward, & JANE WATSON - "On visit from Australia return 21 Oct".

Then on her return to Australia 21 November 1939:
    "When Jean/Jane Watson returned from the UK to Perth in 1939 per 'Orion' she listed her residence as 8 Garland Place, Nedlands."

then thanks to Christina we have the names of the Wilkinson family she went to stay with.

I am not a member of Ancestry but a guest so even if I was well enough to attempt to go online to
    the local library I didn't think i would be able to access records.

A MOD
    Please will you change the name of this thread to "Wilkinson family of Perth, WA". If that is too many
    letters, please omit Family.
    with thanks
    Jill

Quote Originally Posted by gilian rowland View Post
    I am not a member of Ancestry but a guest so even if I was well enough to attempt to go online to
    the local library I didn't think i would be able to access records.
    Jill
    I'll pick this bit out so my reply to it doesn't get lost.

If you are not already a member of your local library, you should be able to go the the library website, and then sign up and get a library card which will have a number on it.
    You then go the library website, sign in using the card number, and from there you access Ancestry.
    It's totally separate from any other time you've signed into Ancestry (or FMP) as an individual, either as a guest or a subscriber. You are signing in as a library user, not as you. So you will be able to access records.
    Though not all records are available in the library editions, most of the 'general' ones are.

Have amended the thread title to 'Wilkinson family of Perth W Australia' so there is no possible confusion re country.

Pam

A fountain of knowledge

Thanks PAM for altering the heading of this posting. Thanks too for instructions re accessing my
    local library which I will try when I feel up to it. I just thought someone on the forum would be able
    to help me. I am a cancer patient with hospital appointments cancelled by COVID-19. I was therefore
    trying to progress this to take my mind off things. All too difficult. Jill.

I'm sorry to hear about your health problems, Jill, but frankly unless you have a load more information you're not telling us about (such as Jane Watson being a visitor from Australia and therefore returning to her home in 1939, not emigrating as I, and I suspect everyone else, thought) then I think you're looking for a very small needle in a very large haystack.

At least one and a half hours later . .

I have just lost quite a lengthy post which I am not going to try to duplicate, because I've just found Jane Hyslop born 1871 in Scotland in a tree on Ancestry. (Memo to self - how many times have you found you could have saved yourself hours simply by looking for a person on Ancestry's trees?)

So if you think that Kathleen and Jane are second cousins, you'll need to check a relationship chart to find who the common ancestor might be for second cousins.

Depending on who it is, you might need to start by checking out all of Jane's siblings, and who they married.
    Or possibly the siblings of each of Jane's parents.

If you're searching in Scotland you'll need Scotland's People which you can search for free, but have to pay to see the actual records. Some census transcriptions are available for free on FreeCEN. There are also some Scottish parish registers on FreeREG.
    https://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/
    https://www.freecen.org.uk/
    https://www.freereg.org.uk/

Pam

A fountain of knowledge

Thanks PAM
    yes I have looked back at the family trees in connection with jane Hyslop but it's not so much
    a question of finding if there is a relationship link but I am keen to have information about
    the Wilkinson family that Christina found.
    I thought there would be information available online in Perth WA for the family ie what
    years are census returns taken as i think theirs are more recent than ours. Are there any other
    trees for the family on Anc
    with thanks Jill

Quote Originally Posted by christanel View Post
    In the Australia, Electoral Rolls, 1903-1980 there is only one Kathleen Wilkinson listed in Nedlands and she has the middle name May. Two entries only in 1943 and 1949. 1943 she is at 43 Weld St with an Arthur Wilkinson, Chemist and in 1949 she is at 8 Doonan St with a Gilbert Arthur Wilkinson, Clerk.

Christina
    Possible death of Kathleen May Wilkinson but note that there are no surnames given for the parents.
    Kathleen May Wilkinson
    Age 76
    Death Place - Western Australia
    Father's name -Frederick W
    Mother's name - Frances A
    Registration place - Perth, Western Australia
    Registration number 790/74 (no specific date given for year of death so is it 1974 as in the registration number?)

There is a Kathleen May Wilkinson in the 1972 electoral rolls but no others at the same address 57 Monmouth St Mount Lawly North Perth 6050.

The presumed son of Kathleen May served in the Australian army in WW11 born 21/12/1925 Perth Western Australia and gave Arthur Wilkinson as his next of kin.

He is in the Electoral roll 1980 where he is living in a flat 1/61 Anstey st Swan, Perth. No other with the surname Wilkinson at the same address. 1977 same address, same occupation Sec(ratary?) no other person.

Marriages Mar 1940
    Wilkinson Arthur Rae Kathleen M Surrey Mid.E.
    2a 1009

possible birth for her
    Births Sep 1914
    Rae Kathleen M mmn Hepworth Huddersfield 9a 528
    I think you can forget about this being the Wilkinson family you are wanting. They are on a public family tree on ancestry. Kathleen died 30 March 1979 = Ruskington, Lincolnshire, and Arthur died 2 Dec 1996 Ewerby, Sleaford, Lincolnshire. Kathleen Rae was born in Thailand and lived in Australia before the age of 10 as she left there in 1934. She is on the UK & Ireland, Nursing Register for 1952 maiden surname Rae.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Firstly -
    Excellent detective work, Christina.

Quote Originally Posted by gilian rowland View Post
    Thanks PAM
    yes I have looked back at the family trees in connection with jane Hyslop but it's not so much a question of finding if there is a relationship link but I am keen to have information about the Wilkinson family that Christina found.
    I thought there would be information available online in Perth WA for the family ie what years are census returns taken as i think theirs are more recent than ours. Are there any other trees for the family on Anc
    with thanks Jill
    From what I can find out from using a search engine, recent Australian censuses are more frequent than ours (since 1961 every five years compared to our every ten) but the more recent ones (since the end of WW2) are not going to be available to the general public because of privacy laws. Besides which, it seems that once the Australian government has taken the information they need for tax, etc, purposes, they shred the census schedules so all you have for reference is the electoral rolls. Which are obviously missing anyone in the household who is not old enough to vote.
    https://www.publicrecords.com.au/topic/census/
    https://www.familysearch.org/wiki/en/Australia_Census
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Census_in_Australia

Pam

A fountain of knowledge

CHRISTINA
    I can't thank you enough for all the wonderful information you found which is so kind of you. Where did you find it all?!
    It would seem, if I haven't totally lost the plot, that there are two Kathleen May Wilkinsons. Your first person who died age 76 but actual date of death not known. That might still be a possibility. I note the names of her parents are given and interestingly I have just been told that a F Wilkinson farmed at Koorda which is where Jane/Jean and Harry Watson farmed. I have found two possible marriages for the parents here in the UK.

Re the two that you give details for dying in the UK. Using the GRO Index I found the two deaths which
    then give dob and the Father was born 1907 and the mother 1913 so that rules them out of having a son born in Perth in 1925!So think the death you found in Perth might well be her and the family.

PAM Thanks for the info on Oz census returns.
    Jill

A fountain of knowledge

CHRISTINA
    I just remembered that Jean Watson died in Nedlands in 1961 and is buried in Karrakatta cemetery,Nedlands, Perth. I found on their burial list that there is a Kathleen May Wilkinson who died 23rd February 1974.
    You found that she died age 76 so that would mean birth c1898. I can't find one in the UK.so guess she was born in Oz.
    I have just emailed them but don't know if they are in total lock down. Jill.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast