Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Gillian, in answer to your question in #9, Ancestry do not allow 1939 lookups, and therefore by our own TOC, we can’t. You don’t need a lookup anyway, see Pam’s message #10.

A fountain of knowledge

Thanks PAM I tried typing in Essex and found the 1939 Register (from memory about the first entry)
    so thanks so much. But .....I found the possible family registered in Barking but sadly for
    the address it just says No. 13 and I guess the actual address is on the previous page - and that defeats me!

LESLIE - Thanks - noted. I remembered there was something I am not allowed to ask hence my post!
    Jill

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Go to the image. Give it a couple of seconds, and then if you look in the middle of the left-hand side of the page you should see a grey circle with a white arrow inside it pointing to the left. Click on it, and it will take you to the previous page.

Alternatively, at the bottom of the image you will see some boxes, one of which says 12 of 52. Alter the 12 to read 11 and you'll see a green 'go' button. Click to go to the previous page.

Don't forget to (a) download anything you want to save and (b) ensure you save any relevant reference numbers.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

A fountain of knowledge

Thanks again PAM I appreciate your instructions and admire your patience. The page I have - and
    yes I did download it - has neither a grey circle on the left or any boxes at the end. Not
    sure why I started this work!! Jill

Quote Originally Posted by gilian rowland View Post
    Thanks again PAM I appreciate your instructions and admire your patience. The page I have - and
    yes I did download it - has neither a grey circle on the left or any boxes at the end. Not
    sure why I started this work!! Jill
    Sorry, I've written the instructions very badly.
    I meant when you're looking at the image while you're logged in to Ancestry.
    That's when you should see the grey circle on the left/numbers at the bottom.

For future reference, there's also a grey circle with a right-pointing arrow on the right-hand side of the page if you want to go forward to the next page instead of back. Unless of course, you're already on the last page (e.g. 16 of 16) or the first when the numbers at the bottom will say something like 1 of 302.

Pam

A fountain of knowledge

PAM
    And again, very many thanks! Although I downloaded the page I was worried I wouldn't be able
    to find it again when I went back to Anc. However I did and even managed to experiment as I found
    the boxes but no green arrow (!) so I clicked on show film strip and to cut a long story short found
    the actual address on p10. It appears to be Pelham Avenue although difficult to read (they were at No. 13)
    Using google maps I find Pelham Avenue still exists but can't work out how to see a picture of the actual house - but that's for another day! This nearly sent me Barking mad??!! and probably you too! Thanks.
    Jill

Quote Originally Posted by gilian rowland View Post
    PAM
    And again, very many thanks! Although I downloaded the page I was worried I wouldn't be able
    to find it again when I went back to Anc. However I did and even managed to experiment as I found
    the boxes but no green arrow (!) so I clicked on show film strip and to cut a long story short found
    the actual address on p10. It appears to be Pelham Avenue although difficult to read (they were at No. 13)
    If you use 'film strip' at the bottom of the page I said alter the number to the page you want, and then you get a green 'go' BUTTON to click, which will take you to the page.

Using google maps I find Pelham Avenue still exists but can't work out how to see a picture of the actual house - but that's for another day! This nearly sent me Barking mad??!! and probably you too! Thanks.
    Jill
    What do you see on your screen? Are you looking at a map of the area? If so, in the bottom left you should see a box labelled 'satellite'.
    If so, look in the right-hand corner and you'll see a plus and a minus sign.
    Click on the plus, so that Pelham Avenue becomes larger on the map.
    Make it fairly large, but not that big it takes up the whole screen.
    Then click the satellite box.
    Next go back to the bottom right-hand corner, and drag the little yellow man to Pelham Avenue. You should try to get him on the blue line that runs down the road.
    Hopefully you will now find yourself standing in Pelham Avenue.
    Then it's just a matter of walking up and down the road till you find number 13.
    You're lucky that it's a cul-de-sac, and often the numbers are continuous, unlike an ordinary road where you have odd numbers one side, and even on the other.

Pam

I just put the full address in to the search box on google maps and then click on the picture that comes up.
    So I typed in 13 Pelham Avenue Barking Essex and got a photo of a block of 3 homes, painted white with the middle one having the door entry standing proud of its neighbours on either side.
    I haven't read the whole thread so if this is not the address you are looking for substitute the one you want. As Pam says just use your mouse to move up and down the street to make sure the photo you get is of the actual house because in my experience google can get it wrong.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Quote Originally Posted by christanel View Post
    I just put the full address in to the search box on google maps and then click on the picture that comes up.
    So I typed in 13 Pelham Avenue Barking Essex and got a photo of a block of 3 homes, painted white with the middle one having the door entry standing proud of its neighbours on either side.
    I haven't read the whole thread so if this is not the address you are looking for substitute the one you want. As Pam says just use your mouse to move up and down the street to make sure the photo you get is of the actual house because in my experience google can get it wrong.

Christina
    Well, you learn something new every day.
    That's the first time I've noticed that sometimes you get a picture immediately underneath the search box. Though admittedly I usually only search for a road/street, not a precise address.

Tried it with my old address, and it was slightly out, so yes, you do need to check that it is the right number, and not just 'assume'.
    Have also tried with my current address and I just get the street marked on a map, though it shows a photo for number 3, further up the road.

Pam

A fountain of knowledge

In my first posting on this thread dated 10th April I said:

"ELECTORAL ROLLS: UK & W AUSTRALIA

2) PERTH W AUSTRALIA: 1939

"I have a Passenger list which states Mrs J Watson arriving in Fremantle, Perth, WA on 21st November 1939. The address given is 8 Garland Place, Nedlands. I'd like to know who was living at that address at that time - doubt she would be listed. I'm hoping it's a Wilkinson family but just guessing. Seemingly Garland Place no longer exists but there is a Garland Road."

Christina then found the following information:

"In the Australia, Electoral Rolls, 1903-1980 there is only one Kathleen Wilkinson listed in Nedlands and she has the middle name May. Two entries only in 1943 and 1949. 1943 she is at 43 Weld St with an Arthur Wilkinson, Chemist and in 1949 she is at 8 Doonan St with a Gilbert Arthur Wilkinson, Clerk"

I would like to progress this so would be grateful for any help please. I tried to find info and if for
    the correct family see below:

Perhaps Arthur is her husband so I found Possible marriage here in the UK

Marriages Mar 1940
    Wilkinson Arthur Rae Kathleen M Surrey Mid.E.
    2a 1009

possible birth for her
    Births Sep 1914
    Rae Kathleen M mmn Hepworth Huddersfield 9a 528

so Hepworth doesn't ring a bell and I can't find birth of possible son Gilbert Arthur
    between the marriage in 1940 and being in Nedlands in 1943.

Unless it's like looking for a needle in a haystack, is there a Passenger list and any further info on
    them.
    Just wanted to find the connection between a Jane known as Jean Hyslop who married Henry/Harry Watson
    in the UK and went to Fremantle and farmed in Koorda. It's believed
    Jean and this Wilkinson person were second cousins. I am sure I recall my grandmother referring to Catherine.
    with thanks
    Jill

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast