Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Aided Immigration UK - South Africa 1857-67

I can't find the button to post a new thread so starting here.

I know that the 1820 immigration applications for UK to South Africa are available here:
    https://www.genealogyworld.net/settle...nce/index.html

However does anyone know where the 1857-1867 applications would be?

Hi
    To start a new thread in a specific forum first make sure you are on the page which shows all the forums. To do this go to the bottom of the page and in the blue bar click on Home. Then scroll down until you find the forum you want, click on that which will then show you a 'Post New Thread" heading which is just under the Forces War Records banner on the left hand side. Click on that and away you go.

I have moved this thread to the South Africa forum where it will attract the attention of one of our moderators who is very familiar with this subject.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Hi Mini,
    I have already sent you the Walsh info from Esme Bull’s book. She would have compiled her lists from records at the Cape Archives, but it is unlikely that these records will show more than is in the book. The colonial authorities rarely dealt with individuals for aided emigration schemes but rather with agents who provided lists of names and ages.
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

Hi again. Would you be able to look in the book by Esme Bull and see when Martin & Johanna plus children Michael, Bridget and John left UK for South Africa? I believe it was around 1859 but that is based on Bridget's recollections 80 years later. Much appreciate any assistance. Regards, Moni
    Last edited by MoniGilbert; 25-04-2020 at 3:58 AM. Reason: omission

Sorry McNamara

Martin(34) and Johanna (30) McNamara with children Bridget (8) and John (infant), from County Clare travelling to Capetown, sailed on the Jalawar, leaving Liverpool 2 October 1859 and arriving Table Bay 16 December. No Michael mentioned. There were two Michael McNamaras who emigrated but they were both married men and sailed on different ships in 1860 and 1861. Notes for the Jalawar say there is no further information except that the immigrants behaved badly during the voyage. After disembarking many of them refused offers of employment and would not leave Capetown. Most were Irish Catholics and they wanted to live near a Catholic Church. The Immigration Board reported that "they showed less disposition to accept employment than any other previous shipload".
    Sue Mackay

Have just seen in the Appendix that the McNamara family are also listed as sailing to New Zealand on the Alfred in 1864. This time Michael is listed, but after John, so presumably he was born in Capetown.
    Sue Mackay

I cannot thank you enough for this information! I feel awful asking for more information but I am absolutely buzzing with what you are sharing with me. So many of the early settlers of Waipipi intermarried and they all came to NZ from South Africa on the Alfred.

I was hoping you could email me the scan of the page with the Jalawar information to [email protected]

And also could you please look up another family who came to NZ from South Africa on the Alfred. They are listed as James McCarthy 30, his wife 22 and John age 3. John may or may not have been born in South Africa. If it is possible to scan the pages too?

I would be very appreciative. I have connected with another family from the Alfred/Waipipi NZ group (intermarried with mine) and she is elderly and health compromised so won't be 'let out' to go to a library till Covid is gone.

Once again, thank you for your assistance. Moni

James McCarthy and family listed in the Appendix as emigrating from SA to New Zealand on the Alfred but not in the main listing from UK to SA. They may have travelled independently.
    Sue Mackay

I cannot thank you enough for your assistance. Regards, Moni

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast