Witchypoo

Default help finding army records

My dilemma is looking for records for Frank James Layzell Mother is Lucy and FatherThomas Born 1889 died 1915 France and Flanders if I am correct however his cousin also Frank James Layzell also in the army died also 1915 to James and Mahala LayzellHow can I find the right records for the right man

The Commonwealth War Graves only has 4 Layzells. One is of obvious interest:

14974 Pte FJ Layzell, d. 20 Nov 1915 age 22. Buried Menin Road South Cemetery. Stanford shire Regt. Son of James and Malala Layzell, Tollesbury, Essex.
    So, now you know the number & regiment of the second one.

Two of the others don’t fit. there’s a James and a Walter Herbert (both wrong parents)

Number 4 however is shown as 3213 Pte RH Layzell, died 15 Aug 195 age 29, Hill 10 Cemetery, Essex regt, parents Thomas & Lucy Layzell of Tolleshunt D’Arcy, Essex. Looks like your other guy or a sibling.

With numbers and regiments, you can look for their medal cards and maybe their service records (if they survived).

Me, I’d check the 1901 and 1911 census for Thomas & Lucy and see what the names of their other children were.

Famous for offering help & advice

1911 census shows Thomas & Lucy with 3 sons living at home.(8 children,6living)

William Layzell 43
    Robert Layzell 25
    Frank Layzell 22

Baptism is for Frank no middle name given. 30/6/1889

Witchypoo

Thank you both I know Robert Henry is buried in Gallipoli not that I know much about him yet. Yes, Frank was a bootmaker from memory one member of family stated Frank joined up but I can not find anything despite them telling me he died in first world war. My thinking now is that they mixed up Frank and Robert. Again from memory, my nan told me she believed that Frank had a limp so I am thinking surely he would not have been able to enlist though I will stand corrected. At some point, I will re-look at the above to get their paperwork

Thank you once again, Lesley Robertson and Pamelawagster

Regards

Have a look for deaths for FT on FreeBMD.