Geoff1959

Default FEAF Far East Airforce December 1963

Is there anyone on line who has knowledge of FEAF?
    Dad was posted to Labuan in December 1963. Wiki says that "The Indonesia–Malaysia confrontation or Borneo confrontation (also known by its Indonesian/Malay name, Konfrontasi) was a violent conflict from 1963–66 that stemmed from Indonesia's opposition to the creation of Malaysia."
    I have some slides and photos that he took whilst there. I'm curios how he got there would this have been my military transport plane? Would this have been from a central dipatching point like Brize Norton is today? What would he have likely flown in?

Any info appreciated.
    Regards,
    Geoff

A fountain of knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff1959 View Post
    . .. I'm curious how he got there would this have been my military transport plane? Would this have been from a central dipatching point like Brize Norton is today? What would he have likely flown in?

Any info appreciated.
    Regards,
    Geoff
    Search 'RAF Transport Command' this operated about a score of different types of aircraft between 1943 and 1967.
    My uncle was signals/navigator on de Havilland Hastings and was in the Far East and Australia in mid/late 1950s.

Famous for offering help & advice peter nicholl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by macwil View Post
    Search '[B] de Havilland Hastings.
    The Hastings was made by Handley Page. Sorry, personal interest.
    Peter Nicholl
    Researching:Nicholl,Boater, Haselgrove & Vaughan

A fountain of knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by peter nicholl View Post
    The Hastings was made by Handley Page. Sorry, personal interest.
    You're right Peter. No need to apologise.
    I'm always getting those two mixed up.

Knowledgeable and helpful

Geoff, try Forces Reunited. As I recall you have to register (subscribe?) in order to post on the forum but you can do a basic search without registering. I just searched with key word Labuan and got 43 hits.

Also, G***le images has many results for RAF Labuan, any of which might lead you to answers to your query.

Peter

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Is there anyone on line who has knowledge of FEAF?
    Dad was posted to Labuan in December 1963. Wiki says that "The Indonesia–Malaysia confrontation or Borneo confrontation (also known by its Indonesian/Malay name, Konfrontasi) was a violent conflict from 1963–66 that stemmed from Indonesia's opposition to the creation of Malaysia."
    I have some slides and photos that he took whilst there. I'm curios how he got there would this have been my military transport plane? Would this have been from a central dipatching point like Brize Norton is today? What would he have likely flown in?

Any info appreciated.
    Regards,
    Geoff
    Hi Geoff,

My father was in FEAF from 1961 to 1964 so I may be able to give a little insight. I am not aware of any flights direct to Labuan from the UK, not even at the height of the troubles. It is very likely that he flew from the UK to Singapore first possibly in a Hastings from RAF Abingdon, or Britannia from Brize Norton. Of course he could also have gone by British United Airways Britannia from Stansted as we did in 1961. If flying with the civvi option he would have routed most likely via Istanbul and Bombay to Paya Lebar. The RAF option would have landed at RAF Changi. The short hop from Changi to Labuan would have been Hastings, Britannia or Beverley of the RAF.

Hope the above helps, please let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

QP

Geoff1959

Hi QP,
    Thank you for the info.
    Looking through an old photo album i came accross a post card from Istanbul.
    That fits perfectly with your explanation. So it seems that he travelled by a commercial carrier.
    That is another piece in the puzzle!
    Regards,
    Geoff.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi QP,
    Thank you for the info.
    Looking through an old photo album i came accross a post card from Istanbul.
    That fits perfectly with your explanation. So it seems that he travelled by a commercial carrier.
    That is another piece in the puzzle!
    Regards,
    Geoff.
    Hi Geoff,

Then it's most likely that he flew with BUA who had the military trooping contract and travelled the same route that I did is via Istanbul to Bombay and then Singapore. For the record I flew on Britannia G-ANCD taking two days to complete the trip to Paya Lehar.

Good to hear about the post card as that helps to nail it down.

Regards

QP