Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Question Searching for info on surname Trinida/Trineda

I have recently found records for the birth of my great great grandfather in c 1786 in the "West Indies".

I am new to genealogy, and would appreciate any help as to where I should look.
    Many thanks.

I also have the surname options of Anderyo or Andaya

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Hello Fiona,

Welcome to British-Genealogy.

I'm slightly confused by your message which starts "I have recently found records" and then goes to say "appreciate any help as to where I should look".
    Usually those sentences are the other way round, as in 'appreciate any help as to where I look to find records for xyz'.

I suggest that you tell us exactly what you found, and where you found it. (FamilySearch, someones' tree on Ancestry, transcription on Findmypast, etc.) That usually enables our sleuths to look at the record as well, and then hopefully have inspiration.

Presumably the surname variations come from various records in the years 2020-1786. It is a case of mainly one during a certain period and then changing, or does the spelling vary from year to year?

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Hi and welcome to Brit-Gen

On my second reading of your post I had the thought that maybe Trinida is not a surname but is actually the country Trinidad.
    I can't find any records for the surname Anderyo on familysearch.org but there are some for Andaya in the time frame. Do you have a first name for your gggrandfather?
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Knowledgeable and helpful

Gloucestershire BMD Indexes has the marriage of an Amy Cook to a Francis Anderryo Trineda in Cirencester in 1848, but also has Amy Cook marrying a John Bowles.

Ancestry has the marriage image. 3rd February 1848, Francis Anderrgo Trinida (called also John Bowles) 62, widower, labourer, to Amy Cook, 32, spinster. Both resident Ampney St Peter. Both made their mark. Francis's father Emmanuel, a labourer, Amy's father Thomas, a labourer.

1851 Census in Ranbury Farm, Ampney St Peter, Cirencester, Glos.
    John Bowles, Head, 65, pensioner, West Indies
    Amy, wife, 36, Ampney St Mary
    Mary, dau, 2,
    Elizabeth, dau, 0
    both daughters born Ampney

John Bowles d. 1854 Cirencester J Qtr 6A 192 aged 72

1861 Census at Union Workhouse, Cirencester
    A Bowles, widow, 43, farm labourer, Ampney

Baptisms at Ampney St Mary:
    18th March 1849, Mary, dau of Francis Anderryo called John Bull, dealer, and Amy. Surname Trinida alias Bull.
    30th March 1851, Elizabeth, dau of Francis Anderryo called John Bull, dealer, and Amy. Surname Trinida alias Bull.
    30th January 1853, Francis, son of Francis Anderryo called John Bull, labourer, and Amy. Surname Trinida alias Bull.

Peter

Knowledgeable and helpful

Also in the workhouse in 1861
    E Bowles 10 Ampney
    F Bowles 7 Ampney (transcribed as T Bowles)

Possible death:
    Mary Bowles 1857 Cirencester S Qtr 6A 190 aged 8

Peter

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi Pam,
    Thanks, I didn't realise it would 'read' that way!
    OK, so one of my maternal Aunts got info from Ancestry.com, to say my great, great Grandfather was John Bowles, birth about 1786 in the West Indies. Death possibly 1854?
    He was AKA "Francis Andaya Trinida"
    This info came from 1851 England census

I also have his father's name as Emmanuel Trinida, and that is all the info I have so far.

Growing up we thought our background was Indian, we certainly looked it. Now I have this info so I am really interested in where it takes me.
    almost
    And yes, I did wonder if 'Trinida' was almost Trinidad

Fiona

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi Christina,

Yes, it's very close isn't it?

I also have Andaya as a name - My Great great GF was 'John Bowles' AKA 'Francis Andaya Trinida' He was born c 1786 in the West Indies, death c 1854
    My great great great GF was 'Emmanuel Trinida'. Born c. 1760

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi Peter,

Thank you, yes that is him.

Fiona

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by Fiona71 View Post
    Hi Peter,

Thank you, yes that is him.

Fiona
    For many years I have had all of the information above - except the reason why he had the alternative name Bowles

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Trinda/Bowles

Quote Originally Posted by Margaret View Post
    For many years I have had all of the information above - except the reason why he had the alternative name Bowles
    Hi

I am Antony Lloyd (Tony) and my mother's maiden name was Hazel Bowles. Her father Frank Bowles the son of Francis Bowles who married Clara in 1854.

I too have been going through the same exercise in tracing Francis Bowles father (aka Francis Trineda (etc!) and come up with what has been stated all through the emails seen on this Forum thread. It has been fascinating to realise that we all have been tripping up on various mis-spellings etc.

I am curious that John Bowles/Trinida was a 'dealer' and my mind moved to slavery which I know is wrong to even contemplate!

Kind regards
    Tony

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast