Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Gt Uncle Thomas Taylor WW1 -

Hi there,
    My Gt uncle Thomas Taylor b7/12/1896 died WW1 1915 Rheim France. (According to my now deceased mothers notes)
    Thomas and my g/father, Charles Richard Taylor b1895 service no. 24183 14th Gloucestershire and 116284 Labour Corps. enlisted together. They were in the ‘bantams’ I believe then transferred into Labour Corps. My grandad saw his brother die while fighting.
    Everything is a mystery with Thomas. Any info at all is difficult to find even about his birth. B 7/12/1896 Marylebone Mother Johanna Taylor neč Barrett.
    I’m sure Thomas would have a second name as his brother and half siblings do.
    Any ideas or suggestions will be met with great gratitude as this is doing my head in!
    Kind regards
    Shae

The Commonwealth War Graves only has one T. Taylor who died in France in 1915 and was associated with the Gloucesters:
    12358 Pte T. Taylor d. 5 Mar 1915, buried St Sever Cemetery, Rouen.
    This man's medal card says he arrive in France on 21 Jan 2 Jan 1915, and therefore has the British, Victory and 15 Star medals.
    Soldiers who died adds that he was born in Bishops Cleeve, and enlisted in Cheltenham.

Could this be your man?

Brick wall demolition expert!

Thomas Taylor birth registration:
    1897 Qtr 1 Marylebone Volume 1A Page 609 - people have 90 to register a birth.

Baptism at St. John's Catholic Church, Westminster:
    Born 7 Dec 1896 Baptised 3 Jan 1897 Thomas Taylor son of Charles and Anna - all in Latin - no middle name.

Looking at your grandfather, Charles Richard's service record, you can see that his father, Charles, who was listed as his next of kin, was actually in the Army Service Corps.

I found the family on the 1901 Census (RG13 Piece 119 Folio 73 Page 40) and the 1911 Census (RG14PN193 RD2 SD3 ED28 SN218) and in each case the mother is listed as Mary. In 1911 she says that she has been married for 18 years and is therefore the mother of all of them. So although she is listed as Johanna Barrett when she married in 1894, I don't she used her full name very often.

Loves to help with queries

You have a birth date for Thomas but Thomas TAYLOR'S birth with mother's maiden name BARRETT was registered in the March quarter of 1897....not the Sept quarter of 1896 that the date you have suggests. How do you have this birth date? On your tree you have Thomas in the 1901 census and on the 1911 census and apart from finding his military record, there won't be much more to find on his short life.

His father Charles remarried in 1903 to Mary Alexandra CHASE who should be recorded on your tree as the mother of the TAYLOR children born after 1898 when Johanna TAYLOR died.

Brick wall demolition expert!

Quote Originally Posted by Sumi View Post
    You have a birth date for Thomas but Thomas TAYLOR'S birth with mother's maiden name BARRETT was registered in the March quarter of 1897....not the Sept quarter of 1896 that the date you have suggests. How do you have this birth date?

Apart from the fact that I missed the word "days" after "90" in my answer in post number #3 I think the answer to the birth date and the registration date is already there.

In other words he was born 7 Dec 1896, and his parents had 90 days to register his birth, and obviously they did not register it until 1897, hence it appears in the 1st quarter of that year.

His birth date is also confirm by the parish that I independently found.

Loves to help with queries

My mistake Megan....for some reason (probably of a senior nature) I read his birth date as 12 July 1896.

Thankyou for your time. Unfortunately it’s not him as Thomas was born in Marylebone. I certainly wish it was.

Unfortunately it’s not him. I was very excited when I came across 12358. Thankyou so much for time and assistance

Baptism at St. John's Catholic Church, Westminster:
    Born 7 Dec 1896 Baptised 3 Jan 1897 Thomas Taylor son of Charles and Anna - all in Latin - no middle name.
    That is fabulous you found this. I’d have had no luck if it’s in Latin
    Thankyou so much

Thanks Sumi
    Yes my family tree is a bit of a mess with multiples and mix up with mothers. Johanna died in 1898 from consumption my mother told me. Thomas and Charles Richard were then put into an orphanage for some time. My g/f Charles Richard said he learn to become a baker while in the orphanage. Gg/f Charles remarried Mary and they had children. I wonder if Charles and Thomas were actually still in the orphanage when the 1901 census was filled out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast