Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Question Finding details about my Fathers real parents

My father is Ronald Barnes Richardson, on his birth certificate it says his parents are completely different to his parents we know. His real parents are Henry Richardson Barnes and Annie Laura Hopper. I have looked up these names on records but there is only my fathers birth records.

I know that my father was born at 6 Fairmead Road, Islington and he was born in October 31, 1912. The father, Ronald Richardson Barnes was a baker and Annie Laura Hopper was married and Hopper was her maiden name. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

I know that my father was born at 6 Fairmead Road, Islington and he was born in October 31, 1912.
    Living at that address in 1911 was Louisa Caroline Walls, a midwife. Perhaps she attended to your father's mother.
    Alma

Welcome to the British Genealogy Forum.
    If he was born in 1912, then the 1911 census would be the place to start, but would you please check the names in your message first.

The only difference that I can see is the first forename of the two fathers, something that could be an error, a change after registration if the father was known by his middle name, etc, etc. I think you should confirm it’s 2 different men.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thank you!
    I will check census records and see what I can find.
    I made a mistake and I don't think I was clear enough with the parents.
    The real parents are Ronald Richardson Barnes and Annie Laura Hopper.
    The foster parents are Albert Edward Richardson and Beatrice Emily Eastwood.

What is most strange to me, is that on my Fathers birth certificate, his name was written as Ronald Barnes, but he was known normally as Ronald Barnes Richardson.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

So just to clarify, on the birth certificate in the father's name column it says Ronald Richardson BARNES and in the mother's name column it says Annie Laura BARNES nee (or possibly formerly) Hopper?
    Who registered the birth?

If Ronald was brought up by foster parents then I don't think there's anything unusual about him normally being known as Ronald Barnes Richardson. It would save a lot of explanations as to why his surname was different to that of 'his parents'.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

He was registered as the son of Ronald Richardson Barnes. In the space for the child's name there is no space for the surname, it is assumed to be the same as the father. So his birth registration has him as Ronald Barnes.
    If he was fostered/informally adopted by Albert and Beatrice Richardson at a young age then he would have been known by their surname. Even today you can be known by any name you choose to use as long as it is not for nefarious purposes. No official paperwork needed. And his life would have been easier if he used his foster parents surname.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by ronaldsfamily View Post
    Thank you!
    I will check census records and see what I can find.
    I made a mistake and I don't think I was clear enough with the parents.
    The real parents are Ronald Richardson Barnes and Annie Laura Hopper.
    The foster parents are Albert Edward Richardson and Beatrice Emily Eastwood.

What is most strange to me, is that on my Fathers birth certificate, his name was written as Ronald Barnes, but he was known normally as Ronald Barnes Richardson.
    What happened to Henry Richardson Barnes from post #1? Just want to make sure we can totally eliminate him from our enquiries.

Also, can you confirm the occupation of the father on the birth certificate was a baker.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Yes, it says Ronald Richardson Barnes in the fathers column and Annie Laura BARNES nee Hopper in the mothers column. I can't read the registrars hand writing so I have attached an image. What I want to find is more detail about father and mother.

Reputation beyond repute

The father's address is given as 146 Holmesdale Road, South Norwood. It's (slightly) interesting that on the 1911 census the main occupant of this address is shown as Miss Hutchings but on the other side of the schedule (the part the enumerator filled in) the name is shown as Miss Barnes but with Barnes crossed out and changed to Hutchings.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Henry Richardson Barnes never existed, I made a mistake. Ronald Richardson Barnes, the real father, was a Baker of 146 Holmesdale Road, South 'Norwood'? I can't read the town in the birth certificate I sent to you above.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast