Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

The address given would be where the birth happened, not the usual residence of the bio-parents. As Almach pointed out in post 2, the resident there was a midwife, so I am beginning to wonder whether the bio-parents were married. It was common for unmarried expectant mothers to be sent elsewhere to have the baby. It wasn’t common for an unmarried father to be named on a birth certificate, but it did happen. Some mothers also created fathers...

If this was my search, I would investigate the bio- and life- parents. Look for them in the 1911, and maybe also the 1901 census to see whether all 4 lived in the same area. Look for their marriages, is there any chance that they were related. It would be very useful, especially, to know more about the bio-mother. Did she marry? Where did she live and what did she do as a spinster? What happened to her after the birth. Try the 1939 database. That sort of thing. Can you find the life-parents? Did they have other children? When did they marry?, Etc, etc.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Apologies. When I asked who had registered the birth, I meant whose details are in column 7, not the name of the registrar.

I can't find a marriage for a Ronald Barnes and an Annie Laura Hopper, but the 'new' GRO Index has an interesting entry.
    Birth registration June quarter 1911, Islington registration district. Evelyn Winifred Ada Knight BARNES, mother's maiden name Hopper.
    It might be worth investing seven quid in a PDF copy of the certificate just to confirm the parents are the same as Ronald's. Order from https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/
    Once registered and signed in, on page 2 click 'seach indexes', and when you find the entry, click 'PDF'.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by ronaldsfamily View Post
    Henry Richardson Barnes never existed, I made a mistake. Ronald Richardson Barnes, the real father, was a Baker of 146 Holmesdale Road, South 'Norwood'? I can't read the town in the birth certificate I sent to you above.
    Pretty certain that it's South Norwood. Don't know about then, but nowadays Holmesdale Road runs along one side of Crystal Palace football club's stadium. (Today's 'buy one, get a piece of trivia for free' offer. )

Peter's find re the 1911 census is interesting.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

I found quite a bit about the bio- parents.

Albert Edward Richardson, life parent,
    Melton Mowbray, Leics.
    1901 Census: Boarding with many others with the Nickolson family in Hackney, London (Grocers), working as a Grocer's Assistant. Age 22.
    1911 Census: 44 Eastbourne Rd S Tottenham N, Middlesex. Married 3 years to Beatrice

Beatrice Emily Eastwood, life parent,
    Born Tottenham, Middlesex
    1901 Census: Hackney, Stoke Newington
    1911 Census: Edmonton, Tottenham, Middlesex

I'm not sure how to narrow down Annie Laura Barnes/Hopper. I haven't found any marriage or birth certificates about her so far.

Could it be possible that Ronald Richardson Barnes could be a fake name? I don't think Richardson is a middle name and there is no marriage certificate I can find.

The life parents didn't have any other children. They married in 1908 according to the census.

Knowledgeable and helpful

Definitely worth following up the background of the life parents. My grandaughter has a baby sister who is being fostered by a cousin of the father. Because of the close kinship the baby will probably know more about her parents than she would have otherwise.pwholt

Famous for offering help & advice

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey View Post
    The father's address is given as 146 Holmesdale Road, South Norwood.

Googling brought up a snippet from a Surrey directory of an Arthur Barnes wardrobe dealer of that address. But no idea which directory or which year! Maybe someone with a sub can find him.

Quote Originally Posted by grisel View Post
    Googling brought up a snippet from a Surrey directory of an Arthur Barnes wardrobe dealer of that address. But no idea which directory or which year! Maybe someone with a sub can find him.
    That's interesting, Grizel. I haven't found an Arthur Barnes wardrobe dealer on the census returns if the directory entry is from a directory dated after 1911 he may not have had that occupation in 1911.
    Alma

Knowledgeable and helpful

London, England, City Directories 1736 – 1943 on Ancestry has Arthur Barnes, Wardrobe Dealer at that address in 1910.

I confess I was thinking he dealt in large wooden cupboards until I saw Miriam Hutchings's occupation on the 1911 Census was Dress Agency (second hand clothes, etc) and the penny dropped!

Peter

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thank you so much for all your help, much appreciated.
    As Pam suggested, I have ordered Evelyn Winifred Ada Knight BARNES birth certificate today to see if there is a connection (maybe a sister) to Ronald Barnes. They say it will take 2 weeks to come.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thanks again for your replies and help. The birth certificate of Evelyn Winifred Ada Knight BARNES has arrived.

She was born 12 May 1911 on 6 Fairmead Road, Islington. Her name is name is Evelyn Winifred Ada Knight. Her father names is Richard Knight BARNES. The mothers name is Annie BARNES formerly HOPPER. The father is a Baker of 148 Holmesdale Road, South Norwood.
    The informant is Annie BARNES, mother and resident of 6 Fairmead Road, Islington. The certificate was registered on the 22 of may, 1911.

I am so confused as there are 4 surnames involved - HOPPER, BARNES, KNIGHT and RICHARDSON.

Question 1
    Am I correct to assume now that Evelyn Winifred Ada KNIGHT BARNES is a (half)sister of my father?

Question 2
    How feasible is it that the names of the father(s) are not genuine? Both fathers are listed with the same profession; “baker”. One father (Richard KNIGHT BARNES) living at 148 Holmesdale Road, and the other father (Ronald RICHARDSON BARNES) living at 146 Holmesdale Road. Two different numbers on the same road seems peculiar?

As I know that my father (Ronald BARNES) was adopted out to a family called RICHARDSON, would it be possible to assume that Evelyn Winifred Ada Knight BARNES was adopted out to a family called KNIGHT?

Therefore the surnames RICHARDSON and KNIGHT were added to both birth certificates? Maybe the adoptions were pre arranged?

My father knew he was adopted, but hid it from the world, and the earliest evidence I know that he was adopted was 2 Aug 1914, his baptism record (21 month after his birth?) where his adoptive parents are written down as his parents.

Question 3
    If Evelyn Winifred Ada KNIGHT BARNES was my father’s sister, how could I track down her living family?

Question 4
    I am also unable to find any leads about the mother Annie Laura BARNES (formerly HOPPER). Any suggestions?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12