Default Walsh/Welsh - Aided Immigration UK to SA

Aided Immigration From Britain to South Africa 1857 to 1867 by Esme Bull
    Does anyone have this book?

Hi. I'm researching an ancestor by the name of Michael Walsh aka Welsh who was born in Ennistymon (aka Ennistimon), Kilmanaheen, County Clare, Ireland born est 1824. I know he married his first wife, Margaret McNamara on April 18th 1864 in Cape Good Hope, South Africa. They sailed from SA 27 September 1864 and arrived 18 November 1864 in Auckland, New Zealand on the "Alfred" where they settled in Waipipi.

I am hoping someone owns this book - I am in Coronovirus lockdown, so can't travel two hours to the closest library that holds this book - I'm hoping someone could look up Michael Welsh for me.

His 1st and 2nd marriage cert plus death cert were under Walsh, however he appears as Welsh on the "Alfred" passenger list. However his likely final resting spot has no headstone but council records have it registered to "Welsh". His son lived under Walsh. One of his daughters married under Welsh. I've learned that Welsh is a common name in Kilmanaheen, so its either or.

This book is among the books on Google Books that are only shown as fragments. However, they do allow searches and show 1 hit for Michael Walsh. It’s is part of a table with only names, no other info, not even the title of the table. Have a look, I didn’t check Welsh...

Michael WALSH, 24, labourer, travelling to City Works, Capetown, from Limerick, sailed on Matilda Atheling arr Oct 1859.

Quite a few WALSH entries, all from Ireland, including a Patrick WALSH aged 22 from County Clare.

Potentially of interest to you is another Patrick WALSH, aged 23, labourer from Ireland, who sailed on the John Vanner arriving March 1862. He is listed as travelling to a John McNAMARA, Harrington St, Capetown.

In the annexure to the book listing those who re-emigrated to New Zealand, Michale and Mary WELSH are listed as sailing on the Alfred, as was a Patrick WELSH.No other info given.
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

Hi - thank you very much, are you able to tell me where you referenced this information?

Quote Originally Posted by MoniGilbert View Post
    Hi - thank you very much, are you able to tell me where you referenced this information?
    Sorry, from Esme Bull's book mentioned in your original post. I have my own copy.
    Sue Mackay

Hi thank you very much. I was hoping you could help me a bit further. Initially I didn't see your reply, I only saw an earlier reply which sent me to trying to access the book via google books (was not successful. So I put a message up on a South African Genealogy asking if anyone could look it up. Someone came back with the following information: Permit: R77/P- Walsh, Michael, Occupation: Labourer, To Mr Fell, CT From Ireland Ship: Royal Charlie Date Aug 60

Is there more than Michael Walsh/Welsh in the book, or did you deduce the one you gave me was the correct one? I'm not sure how the book works. I see you are a Super Moderator so I gather you are an expert and would appreciate your input.

Regards
    Moni Gilbert

Quote Originally Posted by MoniGilbert View Post
    Someone came back with the following information: Permit: R77/P- Walsh, Michael, Occupation: Labourer, To Mr Fell, CT From Ireland Ship: Royal Charlie Date Aug 60
    The Permit No. R77/P is a document reference from the Cape Archives and is the same for quite a number of the Walsh entries. The book is very thick, with the permit number, name, age and occupation being printed on the left hand page and the To/From columns, ship and arrival date on the right hand page. It is therefore very easy to read across to the wrong line, which I think is what your other respondent has done. The man travelling to join Mr. Fell in Capetown on the Royal Charlie was Patrick Walsh and his wife Bridget, listed immediately after Michael Walsh. There is only one Michael Walsh listed and he appears to have sailed on the Matilda Atheling from Limerick, as mentioned in my earlier post. I have double checked by counting up the lines on both pages!!
    Sue Mackay

I did say that it was only in fragment view on Google Books...