martin.brett

Default Susan Elizabeth Stubbing 1871 and 1861

My great grandfather William Selby married Susan Elizabeth Stubbing on 25th December 1877. On the parish record for the marriage her father was James Stubbing and his occupation was Plasterer. Up to her death in 1905 when she was recorded aged 48 she is on all the census returns for 1881 aged 23 born Borough, Middlesex, 1891 aged 33 born London and 1901 aged 42 born Middlesex. Trying to find her before her marriage however has proved difficult. I have so far been unable to find her in the 1871 and not certain if I have found her in the 1861 where she is listed as granddaughter to Elizabeth Stubbing and her place of birth is NK which I take to be Not Known. She is aged 3 so implying a birth around 1857/8 which ties up with all of the censuses after her marriage. The only birth certificate I can find is 16th October 1857 at 210 Albany Road Camberwell then in Surrey. Fathers name here is James and his occupation is Gardener Master. Elizabeth Stubbing did have a son James and he is easy to follow in each census. All these individual bits need to be tied together to make sure that I have the right birth certificate as that is my source for the mother's maiden name. Any suggestions or advice?

Martin

Famous for offering help & advice

Hello I think you are on the right track with James the gardener.
    FS have James and Margaret Stebbing in Greenwich in 1861 working as a gardener. Possibly live in, so Susan sent to her grandmother Elizabeth in Gt Wilbraham Cambridgeshire.
    I think Susan is still there in 1871 but with an error on the census details.FS have Susan Stubbings b 1809 Old Kent Rd with Elizabeth Stubbings grand daughter b 1858 Trumpington. I think the details for Susan and Elizabeth have been swopped around.
    If Susan never lived with her parents she may not have known her father's occupation. Did she sign her name on the parish register? She may not have been able to read or write to know what was written. Or the clerk may have made a mistake. Susan may have spoken with Cambridgeshire accent..
    Do you have the civil marriage certificate too?

Image of the marraige cert on Ancestry,Elizabeth signed the cert and it doesn’t state deceased for father James.Address is John Street.Marraige was at Christchurch,St Marylebone

martin.brett

Thanks both, seems plausible. I found a transcription of the 1871 for possible James Stubbing (father) but it does not have James' occupation so I'll need to dig out the image to see if it is on that. It looks like it is the same James that I have the birth certificate for as his wife's name and place of birth seems to tie up. There are children there, one daughter and three sons but no Susan.

I'm assuming that if I apply for a copy of the marriage certificate it will be delayed by this current lock down for COVID19. Any idea if one can get a PDF similar to births and deaths from G.R.O?

There is a tree on Ancestry with this family including a lot more siblings for Susan. This tree gives a MMN- Ring.

I’ve sent you a PM.