Geoff1959

Default RAF FELTWELL & The METHWOLD BOMB PLOT

Hi,
    Hoping that someone out there may be able to shed some light on what my father did when he was posted to RAF Feltwell. From dad's service record it shows that he went to Feltwell in April 1961 to 721 Signals Unit. What I have found so far is that 721SU was attached to RAF Lindholme near Doncaster. This was the Bomber Command Bombing school until the 1970's.
    Why was he posted to 721 at a different location?
    I have also found information that mentions "the Methwold bomb plot" what was this?
    What I have so far is that there were a series of simulated targets in the UK that were used for training and "bomb scoring". At the time this would have been the V bomber force.
    Radar operators on the ground had to pick up and then 'lock on' to the aircraft whose track was then printed onto a chart in the operations caravan. Prior to the simulated weapon release the aircraft would transmit a steady tone on the radio which ceased at the release point. Following the simulated release the aircraft would then transmit a coded message that provided the MRBSSU with the information necessary (wind velocity etc.) to 'score' the attack, the results (in terms of bearing and distance from the designated target) being passed to the aircraft in another coded message. Consistantly his record shows him as a radar defence Operator would the above be consistant with those duties?
    Feltwell was also the 1st UK base to have nuclear THOR IRBM missiles could he have been involved with them? Any info much appreciated.

Knowledgeable and helpful

Hi Geoff,

I've sent you a private message.

Peter

Hi Geoff
    Signal Units (SU) have a permanent station, but the personal are detached to various units. The Lindholm one was across the road from the station and latterly the prison.
    Not having the correct security clearance, their duties aren't known to me, but you could be correct regarding the bombing runs.
    I served at a number of stations where there were SU, the personal were always detached in and not on the station strength.

Geoff1959

Hi Neil,
    Thanks for you message. Its really interesting putting all this together.