Default McAneney and Mackle, Amargh, Ireland

Hello
    😊I am researching Daniel McANENEY who married Catherine MACKLE 23 Sept 1858, Catholic Church, College Land, County Armagh.
    Their golden wedding announcement states that Daniel is the eldest son of Daniel McAneney and that Catherine is the only daughter of John Mackle.

I have managed to find a baptism dated 21 Sept 1859 for John, son of Daniel McEneney and Catherine Mackle on a microfilm for Loughgall and Tartaraghan.

I know that Daniel and Catherine came on the ship "Royal Charlie" to Capetown, Sth Africa in 1860 (no children listed). They then came to New Zealand on the ship "Maori" arriving Dec 1864 along with two children, Thomas and Anne.

My queries are:
    Where do Daniel and Catherine come from?
    What happen to the child 'John' born Sept 1859?
    Daniel and Catherine do have a son 'John' but his birth date is unknown as we have never found a birth certificate for him in NZ. Is he and the son born in Loughgall/Tartaraghan the same child, but how did he get to New Zealand.

Would love to know more about this family.
    Thanks, Rose.
    this icon makes me laugh.

Knowledgeable and helpful

Rose,

The 1859 baptism doesn’t provide a townland (address) so all you can really say is that the couple lived somewhere in the RC parish of Loughgall (which encompasses the civil parishes of both Loughgall & Tartaraghan).

https://registers.nli.ie/registers/v...age/3/mode/1up

I note that the sponsor was Anne McEneny, so presumably a relative.

Do you know what Daniel senior’s occupation was? He might be listed in Griffiths Valuation. It has a Daniel McAneny in Gallrock townland (parish of Tartaraghan) in 1864. He had a small farm (just over 4 acres). There were other McAneny households nearby (Thomas, John & Catherine).

https://www.askaboutireland.ie/griffi...tion/index.xml

Gallrock is on the modern Gallrock Rd, near Junction 12 on the M1 motorway to Dungannon. 3 McAneny households (various spellings) in Gallrock in 1901.

https://www.census.nationalarchives.i...more/Gallrock/

I can’t say this is your family merely that it’s in the right parish and there was a Daniel there in 1864. However I do notice a Mackel family living next door to McAneney (numbers 21 & 22 in the census) so it might be the right place. Your Daniel may have married the girl next door.

Regarding what happened to the child John born in 1859, it’s possible he died and the name was used again. That was very common. It was important to keep names alive, and so if a child died couples often used the same name again for the next child of the same sex. Death registration didn’t start in Ireland till 1864 so if he died here in 1859 or 1860 there is unlikely to be a record of it. (RC parishes generally didn’t keep burial records). Alternatively, perhaps John remained with his grandparents and was sent out to New Zealand or South Africa later. (Doesn’t seem very likely to me but it’s possible).
    ELWYN

Hi Elwyn

Great information re McANENEY's.

I am finding it interesting that they may have lived on the road to Dungannon as my Mac grandparent married, here in NZ, to a STUART that from genealogy I find links back to the Dungannon area, however a few generations ago. I've often wondered if the Mac's may have worked/known about the Stuart's way back in the early 1800's, STUART being a well-to-do family. Makes every thing interesting though.
    I have had the same thought that John baptised in Ireland may have died and another child born in NZ (??) has been named John as I have come across this in the family. If only I could find John's birth details in NZ but may never do.
    Thanks, Rose