Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default McAneney to South Africa.

Hello

First time posting so hope I do this right?

I am seeking information about Daniel McANENEY and his wife Catherine (nee MACKLE).

I understand that Daniel and Catherine married in Armagh, Ireland and came to the Cape on the ship "Royal Charlie" in 1860. There is a family story that they had a child born on the ship. Also that this child may have been one of twins. Is there a way to find out if this is correct. They are Catholic so thought there would be a record of the child/children.
    In 1864 Daniel and Catherine came on the ship "Maori" to New Zealand with two children - Thomas and Ann (Anne or Annabell).
    There is also confusion about a child named John who may have been born in Ireland.
    However did he sail with his parents? There is a child named John that I can trace in NZ but I can't find his birth details in NZ.

Thanks, Rose.

Hi Rose

Listed are Daniel McANENY(AURAY, aged 21, farm labourer, and wife Catherine, aged 24, travelling from Ireland to VAN BREDA, Capetown, on the RoyalCharlie, which left Southampton on the 15 June 1860 ans arrived at Table Bay on the 31 August. Also listed is a Bernard McANENY, also a farm labourer aged 21, on the same ship.

A note against Daniel's name says he sailed to New Zealand on the Maori, where he was listed as D. McNACAMY with wifeCatherine and children Thomas and Anne.

An annexure concerning emigrants to NZ says the Maori departed on 8 November 1864 with 375 emigrants on board. Passenger listing confirms the above but no John listed.
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Mackay View Post
    Hi Rose

Listed are Daniel McANENY(AURAY, aged 21, farm labourer, and wife Catherine, aged 24, travelling from Ireland to VAN BREDA, Capetown, on the RoyalCharlie, which left Southampton on the 15 June 1860 ans arrived at Table Bay on the 31 August. Also listed is a Bernard McANENY, also a farm labourer aged 21, on the same ship.

A note against Daniel's name says he sailed to New Zealand on the Maori, where he was listed as D. McNACAMY with wifeCatherine and children Thomas and Anne.

An annexure concerning emigrants to NZ says the Maori departed on 8 November 1864 with 375 emigrants on board. Passenger listing confirms the above but no John listed.
    Hi Sue

Thank you for the information you have found. I think John is going to be a bit of a brick wall but will keep 'digging'.
    'Van Breda, Capetown'is this a place in Cape Town?

Most appreciated, Rose

Quote Originally Posted by foggykiwi View Post
    'Van Breda, Capetown'is this a place in Cape Town?

Most appreciated, Rose
    Looking at other entries in the same column I think Van Breda was a surname, either of his future employer or the agent involved in bringing in immigrants to the colony.
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

I think that could be so. Rose

P.S. Love your saying "Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids."

Hi
    found this note spelling

First name(s) John
    Last name McEneny
    Birth year -
    Baptism year 1859
    Baptism date 21 Sep 1859
    Parish Loughgall and Tartaraghan
    Alternative parish names Loughall, Tartaraghan
    Diocese Armagh
    County Armagh
    Country Ireland
    Father's first name(s) Daniel
    Father's last name McEneny
    Mother's first name(s) Catherine
    Mother's last name Mackle

Eddie

Quote Originally Posted by peanut View Post
    Hi
    found this note spelling

First name(s) John
    Last name McEneny
    Birth year -
    Baptism year 1859
    Baptism date 21 Sep 1859
    Parish Loughgall and Tartaraghan
    Alternative parish names Loughall, Tartaraghan
    Diocese Armagh
    County Armagh
    Country Ireland
    Father's first name(s) Daniel
    Father's last name McEneny
    Mother's first name(s) Catherine
    Mother's last name Mackle

Eddie
    Hi Eddie
    I have come across the same baptism and yes the spelling of surname is always a challenge for me.
    We spell it McANENEY but of course I do try other versions in my 'hunt'. My mother always said that Daniel could read and write, not that that makes any difference to others writing down his name etc.
    Rose

i

Just had a look at this baptism for John these entry are all written by the same hand I think the Priest filled t in these entry's that's why so many different spellings

Eddie

Hi
    Another thought John could have died at sea he was very young for such a journey

Eddie

Quote Originally Posted by peanut View Post
    Hi
    Another thought John could have died at sea he was very young for such a journey

Eddie
    I'm getting excited now!!!!!
    There is a family story that when Daniel and Catherine were coming out to NZ that Catherine got very sick on the boat and that she may have been pregnant (possibly with twins) and had miscarried the child or one of the twins, and due to this Daniel and Catherine were 'put off' or 'got off' the boat at Cape Town. I have managed to find them coming to Sth Africa on the "Royal Charlie" in 1860 and that there had been one birth on the voyage. But haven't been able to get details of that 'one birth' Daniel and Catherine come on to NZ aboard the 'Maori' getting here in Dec 1864 with two children - Thomas born 1863 (??) and Anna (Annabella) born Mar 1864. I'm not sure if they were coming from Ireland to NZ or Sth Africa, although I think to Sth Africa because there was recruitment for immigrants to S.A. around 1860 and then recruitment to NZ around 1864.
    So there could be more to this. I have tried Sth African message boards and have also written and received a reply from the Catholic Church there - but no joy, yet.
    Rose

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast