Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Came across while researching my ancestor
    https://www.rootschat.com/forum/inde...138#msg6893138

Is this your ancestor born at sea?

Knowledgeable and helpful

Quote Originally Posted by foggykiwi View Post
    Hi Eddie
    I have come across the same baptism and yes the spelling of surname is always a challenge for me.
    We spell it McANENEY but of course I do try other versions in my 'hunt'. My mother always said that Daniel could read and write, not that that makes any difference to others writing down his name etc.
    Rose
    The idea of a single or correct spelling for a surname or a place name in Ireland is very much a recent phenomenon designed to meet the needs of modern officialdom. Before that there was no consistency. Names were spelled phonetically and each variation was down to the whim of the particular person recording the information. You will often see the spelling change as the records go back. This rarely indicates a deliberate decision to alter the name, nor even a mistake. Not everyone was literate, but even when they were, exact and consistent spelling simply wasn’t something they bothered about. In addition to varying the actual spelling, O’ or Mac prefixes were optional and were often omitted.
    ELWYN

Quote Originally Posted by MoniGilbert View Post
    Came across while researching my ancestor
    https://www.rootschat.com/forum/inde...138#msg6893138

Is this your ancestor born at sea?
    Hi Moni

Thanks for the reference. I have tried to get into the museum that is mentioned but it is closed at present. Will have to try in a month or so.

Hi Elwyn

For my own personal name I usually corrected the spelling and if who ever was writing it down still didn't get it right I just left it. Now I'm into genealogy I usually insist that my name is spelt correctly so that future genealogies will find me - that is if genealogy is still going!
    Rose.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12