Thread: POW St Nazaire

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default POW St Nazaire

My Grandfather was part of the raid on St Nazaire and was taken prisoner and spent his time at Stalag 344 in Lamsdorf.
    I am interested in finding out how he got from France to Poland including the route, time taken and conditions.
    Thanks.

According to Wikipedia they were first taken to La Baule and then sent to Stalag 133 at Rennes.
    La Baule and the surrounding areas were heavily occupied by the Germans throughout World War II.
    Other small pieces of information gleaned:-
    Such was the importance attached to the area by the Germans that their troops kept fighting in La Baule and Saint-Nazaire for nine months longer than in the rest of the department, eventually surrendering on May 11, 1945 (3 days after the German unconditional surrender), making this one of the last liberated parts of France. This episode is called Poche de Saint-Nazaire from the French expression poche de resistance.

Frontstalag 133 was a temporary German prisoner of war camp during World War II located near Rennes, northern France. It operated from late 1940 to October 1943. It housed prisoners from French Colonial Forces and about 200 of the captured British Commando troops from the St. Nazaire Raid were taken there, then sent on to other camps in Germany.

The National Archives has at least 245 search results for St Nazaire records but possibly only reate to the British side of the planning - Here

Someone who actually has some knowledge of the subject will hopefully be along to help later
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Valued member of Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by Phil59 View Post
    My Grandfather was part of the raid on St Nazaire and was taken prisoner and spent his time at Stalag 344 in Lamsdorf.
    I am interested in finding out how he got from France to Poland including the route, time taken and conditions.
    Thanks.
    Take a look at Stalag V111B/344 Lamsdorf Prisoners of War on Facebook, and their website.