Thread: Marshall Anne

Starting to feel at home

Default Marshall Anne

Anne was born C1752, Essex, possibly Great Chishall.
    I have her marriage to William Mansfield 24 May 1778 in Great Chishall.
    He was born C1743 to John and Elizabeth Beadle. It was his second marriage to Anne.
    Seeking Anne's birth and parents.
    Thank you in advance for any help.
    Kind regards,
    Kaye Crettenden.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by KayeCrett View Post
    Anne was born C1752, Essex, possibly Great Chishall.
    I have her marriage to William Mansfield 24 May 1778 in Great Chishall.
    He was born C1743 to John and Elizabeth Beadle. It was his second marriage to Anne.
    Seeking Anne's birth and parents.
    Thank you in advance for any help.
    Kind regards,
    Kaye Crettenden.
    Just to clarify.
    Do you mean William was the son of John Mansfield and Elizabeth nee Beadle?
    Have you found his baptism, and if so, where was he baptised?
    If you haven't found his baptism, how do you know who his parents were?

I know errors occur in transcriptions, but the Essex marriage index on FMP says William was a bachelor when he married Anne, so do you have a copy of the entry in the parish register, or are you also relying on a transcript?

I'm presuming you're basing Anne's birth date on her age at death. Where was she buried?
    And is that where any of their children were born, and where William was also buried? Just trying to see if they stayed in the same area after their marriage.

To save us wasting time searching records you have already searched - where have you searched? Ancestry/FMP/Family Search/FreeREG? Any actual parish registers (images) on the SEAX (Essex Records Office) site?

Other details which might be helpful are the names of the children of William and Anne, because sometimes they follow a naming pattern (first son after his father, first daughter after her mother, sort of thing).

Having never heard of Great Chishall, I checked its location on the map, and was directed to Great Chishill. (Not being nit-picky, Kaye, but sometimes different places in the same county can have very similar - and even sometimes the same - names, so you do need to be spot-on with spellings.)
    That in turn lead me to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Chishill
    which says that the village is now in Cambridgeshire and also not far from the boundary with yet another county, Hertfordshire. So that's two more counties to consider when looking for a baptism.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Starting to feel at home

Default Anne Marshall (cont.)

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Downes View Post
    Just to clarify.
    Do you mean William was the son of John Mansfield and Elizabeth nee Beadle?
    Have you found his baptism, and if so, where was he baptised?
    If you haven't found his baptism, how do you know who his parents were?

I know errors occur in transcriptions, but the Essex marriage index on FMP says William was a bachelor when he married Anne, so do you have a copy of the entry in the parish register, or are you also relying on a transcript?

I'm presuming you're basing Anne's birth date on her age at death. Where was she buried?
    And is that where any of their children were born, and where William was also buried? Just trying to see if they stayed in the same area after their marriage.

To save us wasting time searching records you have already searched - where have you searched? Ancestry/FMP/Family Search/FreeREG? Any actual parish registers (images) on the SEAX (Essex Records Office) site?

Other details which might be helpful are the names of the children of William and Anne, because sometimes they follow a naming pattern (first son after his father, first daughter after her mother, sort of thing).

Having never heard of Great Chishall, I checked its location on the map, and was directed to Great Chishill. (Not being nit-picky, Kaye, but sometimes different places in the same county can have very similar - and even sometimes the same - names, so you do need to be spot-on with spellings.)
    That in turn lead me to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Chishill
    which says that the village is now in Cambridgeshire and also not far from the boundary with yet another county, Hertfordshire. So that's two more counties to consider when looking for a baptism.

Pam
    Hello Pam,
    thank you for your replies.

William was born (1743-Apr 1820) to John Mansfield and Elizabeth Beadle. He was buried Apr 1820 in Great Chishall, Essex.

He married 1 Amy Chapman 6 Aug 1764 in Ashdon, Essex. Christened 5 Feb 1748 Woodford, Essex. Died C1775.
    1 child born, Sarah 1775-C1775

William then married Anne Marshall. Missing Anne's details.24 May 1748 in Great Chishall, Essex. Anne buried 30 June 1826 Great Chishall, Essex.

Ch. Sarah 1778
    William 1780
    John 1783 - 1824
    James 15 Jul 1787 - 13 Oct 1853
    Letice 1759.

Re the village - I have seen is (mis)spelt various ways, but I am convinced the county is still Essex.

Thank you again for your help and
    Kind regards,
    Kaye Crettenden.

I have him marrying first to Amy Chapman

Starting to feel at home

Answering your question which I neglected, sorry. I have searched Familysearch, Ancestry and Googled using Placesetters as per Lisa Louis Cookes' Webinar on 'Google Search Methodology'.