This is not meant as a doom-and-gloom message. Just being practical.
Two items you might not be aware of; two you had perhaps thought about but didn't know you could do, much cheaper, online. And two which have been in the 'to do tomorrow' pile for at least ten years.

Several years ago my brother-in-law was taken ill while at the doctor's surgery, and because of his medical history an ambulance was called. Luckily, one of the surgery staff knew us both and asked him if he would like me to be told. Unfortunately that was the limit of the contact because she had to go home, and when I phoned back, because of the Data Protection Act, the surgery was unable to tell me if he'd gone to hospital. Once he was home from hospital I made sure that the first thing he did was to sign a form authorising me to speak to speak to the surgery on his behalf, and in turn authorising them to tell me things about him, i.e. regarding the previous incident, they could have told me that the ambulance had taken him to hospital. The exact title of the form will probably differ between surgeries but it's broadly called 'Permission to share health information'. Usually the form has to be signed and witnessed before being returned to the surgery but in these times that may be waived. You can make it open-ended, or enter an 'only until' date. You can sign a further form if you change your mind about either the people to whom you give authorisation, or the operational dates.

If you have regular medication, do you know that your surgery may operate a system whereby you can complete a repeat prescription request online? Fill it in, and then the script is sent direct to a pharmacy of your choice. I am informed that there are three systems - the one at my surgery is called SystmOnline. Again, normally you have to go to the surgery with ID, but there should be an alternative way at the moment. Even in 'normal times', I order my repeat prescriptions as far in advance (usually two weeks) as possible in case I either can't get out to collect them or there's a problem with the supply.

Do you have Lasting Powers of Attorney in place? There are two types - one for health and one for wealth. (Officially 'health and welfare' and 'property and financial affairs'.) They can be completed online for £82 each, though in certain financial circumstances for half that price, or even free. https://www.gov.uk/power-of-attorney

Have you made a will? You might not have a 'beste bed' or 'blu hatte' to leave your descendants, but it is best to put in writing exactly how you want your 'stuff' to be disposed of when you no longer need it.

Finally, sort out your 'stuff', making sure that your family history items (all those certificates you spent a fortune buying!) are in a box clearly labelled 'This is not rubbish. Do not bin'. My son might take a little more care in disposing of some of mine, but I think as far as my daughter's concerned the lot will go in the bin. Family photos and all.

Item seven: Ignore the first six if you want, but this is a must for everyone. If you don't have technology which does it automatically, back up your computer files. And get into the habit of doing it on a regular basis.

Pam