Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by TrapperB View Post
    Well NFLD did not join Canada until 1949, that may have something to do with that.
    Yes, it states that as the reason on Canadian Archives.
    While the census returns don't exist this identifies the "scraps" available (I had a look at 1891)
    https://ngb.chebucto.org/census.shtml
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Quote Originally Posted by TrapperB View Post
    So how many Thomas Priors were born in Devonshire in 1852? He claims to have immigrated either way, so would it be safe to assume one of the Thomas Prior, or Thomas Pryor Born in Devonshire that year would have to be him?
    Almach has identified 3 possible birth registrations -, and quickly eliminated one (on 1871 Census). I have eliminated another (on 1871 Census) - and then there was one! If it was only that simple.
    Re. "1852", the 1921 Census gives "Oct 1852". The 1935 Census gives "1854" as does the 1935 death record. Dates/years are not hard and fast

Canadian Archives tells me
    "Civil Registration is a provincial jurisdiction. In Newfoundland records date from 1891".

so, is pre '91 a blank or does it mean identifying place/church of marriage?

Family Search has Thomas' death certificate, the information is:

Thomas Pryor, died Sept 20th 1935, age 81yrs, of senility, place of death Cottles Island, place of birth England.

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QKQF-ZKN9
    Alma

Pre 1891 seems to be mostly just headcounts or fish/goods counted. It really is difficult to find info there.

Quote Originally Posted by almach View Post
    Family Search has Thomas' death certificate, the information is:

Thomas Pryor, died Sept 20th 1935, age 81yrs, of senility, place of death Cottles Island, place of birth England.
    Yes, that’s accurate. Again, according to what I’ve been told. I did however find a few Thomas PRYOR on the freeBMD, born between the years of 1852-1854

If Mary was Mary E Pryor this could be her death record.

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QKQF-Z2HT
    Alma

I can’t see that, it wants me to sign in. You guys are awesome! Like ancestry detectives, lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by almach View Post
    If Mary was Mary E Pryor this could be her death record.

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QKQF-Z2HT

Hence the description "scraps". Did you note 1891 - Cottle Island. Noted that no one from England resident on the island.

Valued member of Brit-Gen barbara lee's Avatar

Did the "stowaway" story come with any anecdotes that sound convincing, or was it just the word that was passed down? Our ancestors and the tales that descended from them can be very tricky. One great aunt told me her grandfather was a highwayman. Turned out he was a horse keeper then a mail cart driver on the London-Portsmouth Road. The road was very important in his life, but he wasn't a highwayman. And as for ages... A distant cousin was told that his great grandfather had been a "babe-in-arms" when his family emigrated from Ireland to New York in 1851. In fact the "babe" in question was really aged 11 but as an adult was knocking ten years off his age for vanity purposes, so he had to keep up the story! Bit like the ladies who coyly swear that they were child brides!
    So don't cling too hard to the stowaway story or the alleged age at which it happened. All may not be what it seems.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast