Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

The Thomas Prior/Eliza Painter marriage cert can be viewed on line.

FMP Baptism (image)
    Thomas, bap 10 Jul 1853, residence Townlake, parents Thomas and Eliza Prior, - father's occupation "Miner",
    place of baptism "Sydenham Damerel", parish of South Sydenham".
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

General Register Office - Birth Registration

Thomas Prior, Sep Qtr (covers Jul-Sep) 1853, registration district Tavistock, volume 5b, Page 326 - mother's maiden name Painter.,

Quote Originally Posted by helachau View Post
    On the 1921 Census a Thomas Pryor, Cottles Island, gives year of immigration as 1856, born Oct 1852, Devonshire, Eng.

Note - re. the 1935 Census it's Pryor, not Prior as posted.
    Thank you both for the welcome. And yes, that would be him! Yes his name as I know was Pryor, but we were thinking it possibly was changed to that spelling when he arrived in NFLD. Any chance there’s a birth registration that would fit him given this info? Thomas Pryor/Prior born in 1852, Devonshire, Eng.

Oh sorry about that, I missed a few posts while writing mine

I can find a Thomas, aged 35 and Eliza, aged 35 Pryor, with son Thomas aged 7 on the 1861 Census. Thomas Snr is a copper miner.
    If Thomas, aged 7, is "your" Thomas it flies in the face of the 1921 Census which declares he arrived Newfoundland 1856. But, as we know, dates/years are notoriously suspect!!

But back to an earlier question - what do you know, if anything, of Thomas' marriage. As I've explained, Newfoundland is very much uncharted territory as far as I am concerned re family history.

I can find a Thomas, aged 35 and Eliza, aged 35 Pryor, with son Thomas aged 7 on the 1861 Census. Thomas Snr is a copper miner.
    If Thomas, aged 7, is "your" Thomas it flies in the face of the 1921 Census which declares he arrived Newfoundland 1856. But, as we know, dates/years are notoriously suspect!!

But back to an earlier question - what do you know, if anything, of Thomas' marriage. As I've explained, Newfoundland is very much uncharted territory as far as I am concerned re family history.
    Yes, as far as I have been told, his wife was Mary Janes. He met her in NFLD and they had 4 boys. From my very limited experience, I have a lot of doubts concerning the NFLD census dates and names. They constantly changed spellings of names, and were not very concerned with accuracy from what i can tell. I really appreciate the help.

Also, could his young age having been a stowaway if true contributed to a false immigration date being given?

Found Thomas and Eliza on the 1871 Census, still with Thomas born 1854. Therefore, sadly, must conclude the Thomas born to Thomas Pryor and Eliza Painter is NOT "your" Thomas.

Wonder how much credence we can give to the 1856 immigration date? If valid, cuts right across the stowaway story.

Just confirmed from Canadian Archives that Newfoundland was not included in the Canadian Censuses 1851 - 1911.

So how many Thomas Priors were born in Devonshire in 1852? He claims to have immigrated either way, so would it be safe to assume one of the Thomas Prior, or Thomas Pryor Born in Devonshire that year would have to be him?

Just confirmed from Canadian Archives that Newfoundland was not included in the Canadian Censuses 1851 - 1911.

Well NFLD did not join Canada until 1949, that may have something to do with that.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast