Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Brick wall demolition expert!

Quote Originally Posted by almach View Post
    Alicated!

A point to note: CHASE is not a common name.

I did find someone who called their child in 1873 "Chase Riches" - honestly

John Underhill appears to vanish after the 1891 census, apart from dying in 1922 (Tonbridge reg district).

In 1878 I think it was him, although he was described as a labourer with a previous conviction, aged 20, who was found guilty at Maidstone Quarter Sessions of house breaking and larceny and served 9 months hard labour. The offence took place in Hadlow. At the same QS Chase Underhill was found not guilty of larceny from the person (charged with stealing an umbrella from someone worth 10s).

In 1911 Chase Underhill was a unmarried farm labourer in Hever, Kent, and he died in 1935.

Thank you, Megan.

Great minds think alike, I always feel pleased when another sleuth finds the same record as me, it kind of endorses my search

Quote Originally Posted by Megan Roberts View Post
    My congratulations to almach for a fantastic piece of sleuthing!

If you trace John Underhill from the 1891 Census back that almach found the 1871 census at Palmer Street, Hadlow, Tonbridge, Kent where he is living with his parents, James and Ann, you will see that one of his younger brothers was called Chase. RG10 Piece 934 Folio 22 Page 37.

OH I'VE JUST SEEN SHE'S BEATEN ME TOO IT!
    I too haven't found John Underhill after 1891'

I think you are right, Megan re: the conviction.

I'm assuming the Chase Underhill death you mention is for John Underhill's brother, Chase, not the other Chase who may be JH's son.
    Quote Originally Posted by Megan Roberts View Post
    John Underhill appears to vanish after the 1891 census, apart from dying in 1922 (Tonbridge reg district).

In 1878 I think it was him, although he was described as a labourer with a previous conviction, aged 20, who was found guilty at Maidstone Quarter Sessions of house breaking and larceny and served 9 months hard labour. The offence took place in Hadlow. At the same QS Chase Underhill was found not guilty of larceny from the person (charged with stealing an umbrella from someone worth 10s).

In 1911 Chase Underhill was a unmarried farm labourer in Hever, Kent, and he died in 1935.
    I revisited the 1891 census and although Ancestry has indexed Sarah Chapman's children Elizabeth and Chase with surname Underhill, the original sheet doesn't agree, the children are listed directly below Sarah Chapman and their surname has ditto marks
    Alma

Almach,
    What a great piece of work - congrats!

Kent & Sussex Courier, 2 Aug 1935
    TONBRIDGE LOCAL NEWS
    SUDDEN DEATH - The death occurred suddenly at the Pembury Institution on Saturday night of Mr Chase Underhill, of 102 Shipbourne Road, Tonbridge, aged 74. The facts were reported to the Coroner, who deemed an inquest unnecessary.
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Thanks for replying so promptly, i apologise for not replying sooner but i have been in work since 8am this morning, Thanks for the help with this, i have been going round in circles trying to find information. I dont have the marriage certificate but i can rectify that if necessary. I willl take a look at what details i do have for both of them and get back to you after dinner. I know a couple of the dates do seem to be out slightly and different sites seem to have changed dates slightly.

I will reply again shortly after checking what info i have.

Jenni

So the marriage document i found on Ancestry says marriage registered in Oct/Nov/Dec quarter of 1913
    Evelyn M Martin and Chase Avis in Tonbridge, Evelyns middle name on a census record i found is Minnie which is right as her Daughter, my grandmother was names after her Minnie Evelyn Avis (born 1913) who married Herbert George Hoy.

The census i found was 1939
    Residence - Malling, Kent, England
    Address - Cottage
    Chase Avis 15th Nov 1888 - Market Garden Heavy Worker
    Eva Avis 29th April 1895 - Farm Worker
    Joan Avis 16th Dec 1926 - At School
    Eric Avis Aug 1929 - At School

The census record is correct as Joan and Eric were my grandmothers siblings

Chase Avis died in 1942 at the age of 52 which would put his birth year at 1890 instead of 1888.

I have been told 2 separate stories regarding his death but not sure as to his exact cause of death but my father told me it was an accident with farm machinery and his sister, my aunt said that he was knocked over and killed by an army vehicle.

Hope this helps a little more
    Many thanks to all of you with your help so far

I thought that I would have another look and see if there was anything on the wider Chapman / Avis family which might give some clues, but frankly the more I have looked the more dead ends or perhaps I should loose ends I find.

In the 1911 Census Sarah said that she had 4 children. She had 6.

1. Chase:
    There is a family tree on Ancestry owned by someone called “bobcook139” and the tree is called “Barnett”, which has Chase Chapman as the son of John Underhill and Sarah Chapman, but no documents to back that up. This appears to someone who is following the line of Chase’s sister, Elizabeth (“Sissie”) who apparently married Frederick George Barnett on 17 May 1908 in Tudeley, Kent, and they went on to have 3 children. However, this tree does not mention any of Sarah’s other children. I didn’t find this marriage in the marriage index because she is listed as “Sissie Chapman”, and there is no mention of Elizabeth. As there are no documents on this family tree I am not convinced that Elizabeth and Sissie are one and the same. In 1890 a Frances Sissie Chapman’s birth was registered in Malling, Kent, (no mother’s maiden name).

Chase also appears in a private family tree called “Butler Family Tree” run by “rosedavies170”.

2. Elizabeth
    Birth registration Qtr 1 1890 Tunbridge Wells Vol 2A Page 710 mother’s maiden name: Chapman

1911 Census; Working as a housekeeper for an 83 year widower at Stockland Green Speldhurst Tunbridge Wells, Speldhurst, Kent. Despite the apparent marriage to Fred Barnett above, I can’t discount this, because the age 22, is right as is the place of birth Hadlow.

Not found on 1939 Register

3. Ellen
    No birth registration found.

Possible marriage: 1914: John S May Qtr 4 Tonbridge Vol 2A Page 1918

Possibly Nellie B May born 13 June 1895 married 1 son living in St. Pancras – 1939

There is another Ellen Chapman marriage in Tonbridge in 1921, but that one, based on the likely equivalent 1939 Register entry was born in 1888.

4. Charles
    There is a birth registration in Qtr 4 of 1894, making him older than thought, in Tonbridge. No mother’s maiden name, suggesting illegitimacy. Vol 2A Page 683

A Charles CLEMENT Chapman married an Ellen Hall in December 1911 (the Banns are on FMP). The marriage index: Tonbridge Qtr 4 1911 Vol 2A Page 1685

Charles Chapman, Private, Queen’ Own (Royal West Kent Regiment), 1st Battalion, who had resided in Tonbridge, was killed in action 4 Oct 1917, France & Flanders.

5. Alice
    Her birth does not seem to have been registered – at least in Tonbridge. There is an Alice Amelia Chapman, but that is not her, as you can trace her to another family. There is a possible registration in Malling, Kent; Qtr 1 1900 Vol 2A Page 710 – mother’s maiden name Chapman

So other than her appearing the 1901 and 1911 censuses there does not seem to be any record of her.

6. Louisa
    Her birth does not seem to have been registered.

So other than her appearing the 1911 censuses there does not seem to be any record of her.

Turning to the mother Sarah:
    Birth Registration: Qtr 4 1863 Tunbridge Wells Mother’s maiden Simmons Vol 2A Page 472

Bapt 18 Nov 1863 St Mary, Hadlow to William and Rebecca

1871 Census: Pitts Wood, Hadlow, Tonbridge, Kent
    You will see that apart from her father they were all born in Hadlow, and that she had siblings called Charles and Alice.

I am not certain when she died, but I think that it may have been not long after 1911.

Alfred Avis:
    There were potentially two men called Alfred Avis of about the same age living in the same area at the same time. I had already found evidence of this before I found two family trees on Ancestry showing this, but both claiming the same event, (death – 1935 Malling, Kent) for their man!

No. 1 Born April 1876 Withyham, Sussex
    “Peter Card’s family tree” owned by “Peter John Card” which has Alfred with no spouse or children. The son of David Pratt and Louisa Avis.

No. 2 Born 11 June 1876 Tunbridge Wells, Kent owned by “Barbara Jones 52” called “Mepham family tree” married to Elizabeth Sarah Mitchell with 4 children. The son of Alfred Avis and Frances Pennells

No wonder you have struggled to sort this out. I think a DNA kit might be the answer!

Knowledgeable and helpful

Ancestry has records of a Chase Avis in its WW1 Service Medal and Award Rolls and Medal Index Cards:

He served as a private in the 1st Battalion Royal West Kent Regiment, service No 4949, then in the 7th Battalion and finally the 43rd Battalion Royal Fusiliers, service No 93946. He served from April 1915 (although the MIC states January 1915) until November 1918.

Forces War Records has the same medal records but also has a record of a C Avis being listed as wounded on 6th November 1916. This record gives his service No as 4949 and his resident town as Tonbridge.

Unfortunately, it seems his service record has not survived (I checked Underhill and Chapman, just in case!).

Peter

So after doing some more research and looking back over details i had written down a few years ago that my dad had told me about an uncle that had died when he was about 16 years old, looking through the british newpaper archive i found a story in there about Harry Chase Avis who had sadly died after an accident, his mother Evelyn Avis and Chase Avis were mentioned in the piece, they live at Hawkwell Farm, Pembury.

Death follows accident with toy pistol is the headline

https://www1.britishnewspaperarchive...11016/090/0003

Hoping the link will work, other than that i have photographed the clipping so have it on file as a jpeg

YOUTH’S TRAGIC DEATH. - The funeral of Harry Chase Avis, the 16 year old son of Mr. and Mrs. C. Avis of Hawkwell Farm, whose tragic death at Pembury is reported on another page, took place the Parish Church Wednesday, the Kev. A. F. G. Owen officiating. Wreaths were from his loving; Mum and Dad; Mr. and Mrs. Simpson; Airs. Jarman and Jack: all at Deacombe; Min; Mr. and Mrs. Archer; M. Young; Mr. and Mrs. Large and George; Mrs. Parks and Children; Bert ami Bill; Minnie; George Large; Auntie and Uncle Bill; Mr. and Mrs. Turner; Prank, Eric and Archie; Mrs. Truscott ami Family; Uncle and Auntie (Tonbridgei; Grandma; Eileen and Davie; Baby Jean; Auntie Nellie and Uncle Jack; Mrs. Humphrey; Mrs. Clifton, Mrs. Parsons and Jim. and Miss Selden; Mr. and Mrs. Dadswell; Ernest and Ivy; Professor and Mrs. Buss; Joan, Jack, Eric and Nellie; his chum, Albert, and Mrs. Thompson; Mr. and Mrs. Longhurst; Frank Sutton; Jack: Lovell Joy; Uncle; Uncles Louis and Vic; Mr. and Mrs. Lewry and Children. Messrs. <•. and F. Penn had charge of the funera. arrangements.

The above is a copy and paste of the funeral notice in the same newspaper

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12